IV

I wake up, still feeling dizzy as ever but I feel much better than I did in class earlier. I'm alone in the dorm again –yes, after four years I finally made it to the dorm life, even if I'm only three months away from graduation–

I keep staring blankly at the ceiling. This flu is really trying to put me down on bed all day long. Fortunately, I have three days –starting tomorrow– to make this bacteria go away before academics comes back splashing workloads.

We have this University Week which is pretty ironic because it's not actually for a week. It's almost the same every year so maybe my student council friends wouldn't mind if I miss out on their event.

2:35 pm. A message pops up.

Rita: Girl. Need you!!!

Oh no. I reply and ask her what happened but she's not responding. I have to get back to school immediately; sadly this flu won't even let me get out of bed. Maybe it's not that urgent. I really can't seem to stand. But she said she needs me. Am I being a bad friend? I am. Ugh this sucks. I'm guilt-tripping myself again. Screw it I'm going to head back to school.

I'm walking as fast as I can, through the school gate, Building A, Covered court, and finally, Building B where the office of the student council lies ahead. I rush towards their office and hastily ask, "Where's Rita???"

An officer replies, looking all worried, "She just left; she told us she'll go to class. Why?"

I softly reply, "Nothing, I guess I'll wait for her then. Thanks."

I sit on her chair, resting my head on her desk. I'll take this moment of waiting as an advantage and take a quick nap.

Someone's ruining my perfectly good nap, in short there's someone waking me up. I slowly open my exhausted eyes, and see Rita in front of me asking if I'm sick, and offers me some meds.

I say to her that she doesn't need to worry about me, but yeah, I could really use some meds right now.

I anxiously ask her what happened to her and that I was so worried I came here as soon as I could after reading her text.

"Here take this first," she gently handed the medication, replying, "I'm actually going to ask you a favor."

I stutter, stating, "A favor? I thought you're sad or in danger or badly need a helping hand physically that's why I went back here," I exclaim as I drink up the water, "You couldn't just text me that? You know I'd always say yes to you. You're unbelievable, be thankful that I love you Rita. So what is it?"

She takes a seat as she replies, "Yeah I'm sorry about that, I love you too. Anyway we're really short in staff for the upcoming University Week, and I was wondering if you could fill tomorrow in the screening of the bands for the battle of the bands."

"Okay," I start, rearranging my sit, "I know I said I'll always say yes to you, but I don't know anything about judging or screening bands; what am I supposed to do there?"

Now she's saying please, so how could I say no to that? She's stating that I'm the only one she can think of and that she knows how I love music and that I play some instruments.

Well, I do know guitar and keyboard, but it was ages ago since I last played. I mention how I'm getting anxious thinking about it.

She's keeping me calm by explaining that I can do it. She will send one staff member to facilitate the bands, and says that all I have to do is judge the performance together with the owner of the studio.

She stands in her seat, fixing some files, saying, "Thank you so much, I owe you. 9 am tomorrow. The AVC studio at 4th 21st street, and I'm thinking you can bring one friend to judge and help you ease off your anxiety at the same time."