Track 02: Candy Store

"Welcome, everyone," Ms. Son announced. She stood on the apron of the stage as her cast sat in the creaky auditorium seats before her. "I assume you've all been listening to the soundtrack and paying attention to your parts like I asked?" She raised an eyebrow, waiting for an answer. A flat, mumbled chorus of yeses drifted up from the crowd. "Ew," she sneered, "Is that the kind of energy you guys are going to have for this show? Let's try that again. I said, have you all begun practicing for this show like I asked you to?" This time, an enthusiastic and unified 'yes' was shouted by the cast members, and Ms. Son nodded.

Her assistant director stood behind her staring at the crowd, taking note of who had arrived for rehearsal on time. Everyone was accounted for – everyone except Hwang Hyunjin.

She clapped her hands twice and began barking instructions. "Ensemble, follow Ms. Park to the choir room. Heathers, Veronica, and JD, come with me. Martha, Kurt, and Ram, go find Ms. Yoo – she should be in the theatre room."

Everyone did as they were told. The leads climbed up onto the stage and stood in a semicircle around Ms. Son.

"Hey, where's my JD?" She asked, looking around. The four students surrounding her all shrugged, then jumped when the auditorium door flew open loudly and Hyunjin stumbled in. Ms. Son was unamused. She crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently as she waited for Hyunjin to join his cast members. "So nice of you to join us, Hyunjin," she announced, "You're only twenty minutes late. Which means you owe me twenty minutes after rehearsal. Seungmin, you too."

Seungmin threw his hands up in the air. "Why do I have to stay? I was on time!"

"Because you're in his scenes, and I'm not going to play Veronica for you. Plus, it'll be extra practice for you," the director deadpanned. "Both of you had better commit to these roles, because your understudies would kill to take over for you. And if you don't put in real effort, I'll let them."

Hyunjin nodded, but his smug smirk never left his face. Seungmin, however, was mortified. He had been thrilled when the school announced they'd be performing Heathers. After all, Veronica Sawyer was his dream role, and he was ready to do whatever it took to keep it, even if that meant putting up with Hyunjin.

"Fine," he grumbled, "Hyunjin, come with me. We need to run our lines while Ms. Son works with the Heathers on 'Candy Store'."

~

published june 23
sorry i know i'm an hour late

also, i looked this morning and in one day the first chapter of this story got as many hits as my other story got in almost 2 weeks hhh