Track 03: Fight for Me

"Seungmin, Hyunjin!" Ms. Son slammed her script down onto the table. "This number is called fight for me, not fight with me. Can't you two stop bitching at each other for five minutes so we don't have to keep starting over? The ensemble is going to hate you both if they have to sing 'holy shit' one more time."

Hyunjin scoffed. "It's not my fault he can't act!" He gestured at Seungmin, who stomped forward to shove Hyunjin.

"I can act, but no one can pretend to like you enough to play this role properly," he growled, jamming one finger into Hyunjin's chest. He tried to look intimidating, but the fact that he had to look up to meet Hyunjin's eyes really didn't help his case in the slightest.

Felix stepped in between the pair and calmly pushed them apart. "Seungmin, just forget that that's Hyunjin. For now, that's JD. And you're not Seungmin. You're Veronica." He pushed both boys toward each other again and patted their shoulders. "And Veronica thinks JD is hot shit."

"Whatever, take five," Ms. Son shouted.

"Thank you, five!" The whole cast shouted in response, all wandering off.

Felix, Jisung, and Jeongin all approached the two leads, who were still standing centre stage glaring at each other. Felix laughed, earning bitter scowls from both boys.

Hyunjin spat, "What are you so happy about? We kill you after a couple more songs."

The Australian shrugged. "It's just funny to see that you two have to try to like each other. You're terrible at it." He punched Seungmin's shoulder. "You can hardly smile at him, what are you gonna do when you have to kiss him?"

"When I have to what?!"

"Minnie," Jisung cut in, "This is your favourite musical. You know Veronica and JD kiss a lot. They practically fuck onstage during 'Dead Girl Walking'." He placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "It's okay, dude. Just pretend it's someone you like instead of Hyunjin."

"I'm right here," Hyunjin grumbled.

Seungmin shrugged Jisung's hand off and frowned at Hyunjin. "You know how to stage kiss, right?" Hyunjin nodded. Seungmin smiled and stated, "Perfect. That way we don't actually have to kiss. You assholes underestimate me." He pointed between the Heathers as he uttered the last sentence. They all pretended to be hurt, and Seungmin only laughed.

~

published june 24