Track 14: Shine a Light (Reprise)

Seungmin returned to rehearsal the next day as if nothing had happened. When Ms. Son called for places, Seungmin stepped out onstage, waving a hand.
"Hey, I was thinking that since Hajoon had a chance to play Veronica yesterday, we could let Yeonmin play JD today," he proposed.

Ms. Son narrowed her eyes suspiciously but nodded anyway. "Somebody go tell Hyunjin he can help light crew up in the cats today," she demanded, "Yeonmin, get into costume."

Jeongin ran offstage to find Hyunjin, who was getting his mic set up and taped to his face. "Hey, Hyunjin," he greeted. "Yeonmin is playing JD today, and Ms. Son wants you in the catwalks helping the light crew."

"Wait, why is Yeonmin playing JD? I'm here and I'm ready for rehearsal."

Jeongin shrugged. "Seungmin asked if Ms. Son would give Yeonmin a shot since Hajoon played Veronica yesterday."

Hyunjin was frustrated. So what? He liked Seungmin, no big deal. Seungmin shouldn't risk both of their performance integrity just because he was feeling uncomfortable. Despite his hurt and irritation, Hyunjin did as he was told.

He carried an extension cord over his shoulder as he climbed the ladder up to the catwalks. He was grateful for the glow tape on each rung, because the ladder closet was too dark to see your own hand in front of your face.

He set the cord down first and hoisted himself up onto the platform. Jaehyun, head of light crew, gave Hyunjin a fist bump as a greeting and beckoned the boy closer. "Hey, you're gonna be helping with light tinting. Taeil will help you with that. Bring him these cellophane sheets." He handed Hyunjin a box and turned around.

Until now, Hyunjin had never realised how high up the catwalks really were. They ran in a grid pattern above the stage and even stretched over the first few rows in the audience but were covered by curtains. A fall to the stage would be catastrophic. It was at least a thirty foot drop. The rickety guardrails offered Hyunjin no reassurance, but he held on anyway.

He wandered around the cats in search of Taeil. He looked around, but everyone was dressed in all black and it was dark aside from glow tape and the hazy light from the stage lights below them. Hyunjin walked face-first into a bar and stumbled backwards. He was convinced that this was how he'd die, until someone caught him.

"Did you not see the sign on that bar that says 'height warning' and 'duck'?" Hyunjin turned around to see Taeil.

With a kind smile, Taeil gestured for Hyunjin to follow him. They sat crouched on the catwalks layering coloured cellophane and applying the film to lights that were not currently in use, since the stage lights could get very hot.

Hyunjin's attention drifted toward the stage when he heard Seungmin sing, "Thirty hours to live, how shall I spend them?" He leaned forward a bit to watch the performance from above. He grimaced when he saw Yeonmin onstage in the place where Hyunjin should've been. As bothered as he was, Hyunjin couldn't tear his eyes away. The song continued. "Before they punch my clock, I'm snapping off your window lock. Got no time to knock, I'm a dead girl walking." This was supposed to be Hyunjin's scene. He hated the thought of what would come next in the song, but he knew it was inevitable as he had performed it a hundred times now. He only wished he could be in Yeonmin's place.

Seungmin tore open his blazer, which began the part of the scene Hyunjin dreaded seeing most. He felt like he'd been punched in the chest when he saw Seungmin kiss Yeonmin. In the same sick way you can't look away from a car crash, Hyunjin could not refocus his attention. He watched in horror as the scene progressed, jealousy boiling in his veins. But was this really jealousy? Or was he just hurt that Seungmin hated him so much that he'd avoid him at all costs? Either way, Hyunjin felt like shit.

~

published july 5

sometimes when i write about like,, crew stuff and rehearsals and whatever i wonder if yall can tell i used to do theatre - cast and crew depending on the show