Track 15: Kindergarten Boyfriend

Felix approached Seungmin after rehearsal, just like he'd done to Hyunjin. But he hadn't even let Seungmin get as far as the parking lot. They were still in the auditorium.

"You called in his understudy?" Felix whisper-yelled, "That's cold-blooded, Seungmin. It's not like he was hitting on you or anything, so it doesn't need to be awkward. You didn't reject him. Or maybe you did. I mean, you called in his understudy even though he was here." He sat down in a creaky plush seat and motioned for his friend to join him. "Even if you feel all weird about him right now, you have an obligation to everyone who's worked on this show to actually go through with performing it."

Seungmin sat still, pondering Felix's rant. Was there a right way to respond? If so, Seungmin had yet to find it. "I just feel weird around him," Seungmin confessed, "Like, he makes me so fucking angry but he's also so sweet to me. He's a douchebag who shoves me to the ground or he's a sweet guy who gives me his shirt. There is no in between with him. It's easier to fully hate him than to half-hate him and get all confused and weird about it."

Felix was about ready to smack his best friend. "You know how I keep telling you you don't actually hate him?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

"No, no, no," Seungmin cut in, "Enough of that shit. Stop trying to convince me I like him. It's already a stretch for me to say I half-hate him, so don't push your luck."

Little did either of them know, Hyunjin was still in the catwalks above them, helping Taeil with the lights as he couldn't help but listen.

It hurt to know that Seungmin half-hated him, but somehow it was a relief as well. It was progress. Half-hate was halfway to tolerating him. And that was enough for Hyunjin, for now.

~

published july 6