Track 04: Freeze Your Brain

Ms. Son didn't even bother pulling the leads aside to yell at them, she did it in front of all the cast and crew.
"You two are going to have to kiss eventually. You've nearly perfected everything in your scenes except for that. Seungmin, it's not that big of a deal, so stop smacking him when he tries to kiss you," she scolded, "Because if you can't handle one kiss, you'll never be able to handle 'Dead Girl Walking'. But Hajoon will, and I'm pretty sure he wants your role just so he can be the one to kiss Hyunjin."

Seungmin's understudy blushed. Hyunjin noticed and smirked, winking at the shy boy. Seungmin grabbed the front of Hyunjin's shirt and pulled him closer. "Hey, asshole, quit drooling over Hajoon and focus on our scene. God, this is part of why I can't fucking stand you." He sucked in a quick breath and shut his eyes tight. "But if the only way I keep my role is kissing you, then so be it. Just get it over with."

Hyunjin's smug smirk hadn't faded. He feigned innocence as he asked, "Get what over with? You're gonna have to be specific."

"Just kiss me, dickhead," Seungmin growled. As planned, Hyunjin took hold of the younger's face in both hands, covering the boy's lips with his thumbs. That way, when he leaned in for their "kiss" he'd kiss his thumbs and it would appear real, but they'd never actually kiss.

The ensembled whooped and hollered, but Ms. Son simply shook her head. "You're not gonna be able to do that every time, guys," she warned, "There are points where you're actually going to have to kiss. Get comfortable with the idea quickly unless you don't want these roles."

"Fine," they mumbled together.

"Okay, everyone! Good work today. I need you all to keep practicing the choreography for 'Big Fun' and 'Beautiful' at home. Ms. Yoo won't be here to direct dancing tomorrow, so Minho will be doing it instead. Bye!" Everyone turned to leave, but Ms. Son called out to two boys, instructing them to stay. "You two have the same homework as everybody else," she began, "but you have an additional assignment. You two need to get more comfortable with each other because we are working on 'Dead Girl Walking' on Thursday. I like you two as these characters, so I'd hate to see you have to forfeit them."

Seungmin hesitantly raised his hand. "Are you saying our homework is to figure out how to kiss onstage without trying to throw hands?"

The director nodded. "I don't care if you have to put a Dowoon poster over his face, you need to figure this out, and fast. Okay, that's all my notes for you guys today. Goodnight!"

"Hey, um..." Hyunjin scratched the back of his neck, staring at the floor. "Do you want to come over? I can give you a ride home after. I just really don't want to let Yeonmin play JD."

Begrudgingly, Seungmin nodded and followed Hyunjin out to the parking lot.

~

published june 25