Chapter XI

When Natasha regains consciousness, it feels like years have passed. Judging by the appearance of her skin and texture, Thanos has still found a way to keep her alive. She's thin, weak, but hydrated although her throat burns. She's lying on a bed, a real one for once. Maybe they've realized that her survival depends on a few vital things now. However, the minimal increase in comfort does nothing to fill the gaping hole that remains anchored in her chest. The absence of blood on her clothes confirms her suspicions that someone must have taken care of her while she was unconscious. Suddenly, she gasps. The blanket. The blanket that she gently wrapped her baby in, where is it? A glance, she checks around, but nothing. No blanket. No baby. All the accumulated fatigue suddenly slams in her face and big tears roll down her cheeks. They took her baby away, the only thing she was still clinging to. Her little miracle, her reason to be alive. A sudden rage seizes her and she grabs the needle stuck in her arm to tear it out.

« I wouldn't do that if I were you. »

Natasha freezes. Thanos is there, sitting on a chair in the corner of the room.

« That needle is the only thing that's keeping you alive »

« I've got nothing left to lose. Why would I want to stay alive? »

« I know how you feel, my child. »

« You'll never be able to feel what I feel, » she replies, full of hatred.

Thanos sighs. He turns to her, coming out of the darkness.

« Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution. »

« Let me guess. Genocide? »

« But at random, dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a madman, and what I predicted came to pass. »

« Congratulations. You're a prophet. »

« I'm a survivor. »

« Who wants to murder trillions. »

« With all six stones, I could simply snap my fingers. They would all cease to exist. I call that... mercy. »

« And then what? »

« I finally rest. And watch the sun rise on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills. »

« I think you'll find our will equal to yours. »

« Our? »

« I am certainly not alone out there. You'll find that Earth people are pretty stubborn and that they desperately want to live. That's a dangerous combination. »

« Are you talking about the Avengers? Your 'heroes' are divided, a mess, unable to put aside their differences to work together. I know all of them, none can resist me, not when I'll have what I need. »

« You're underestimating them. Loki did the same and we won. He will never give you what you need, I trust them. »

« I have the thing that matters the most for him. I know your weaknesses, they don't differ from the one I have seen across the universe. He might be a good man, but even a good man has a breaking point. I found his, I am just waiting for the good moment to use it. »

« So what? All that torture was for nothing? »

« For nothing? Oh no. Not for nothing. Look what we've done to you. Everything he fears in front of him. Break him will be as easy as breaking a wooden stick. »

Natasha can't help but laugh sarcastically.

« You think it is going to break him? You don't know him at all. If anything, he is the one who is going to break you in half for what you did. »