Chapter Two

After many, many boxes of chocolate frogs, we finally arrived at Hogwarts. I changed into my robes, a plain tie adorned with the school crest instead of a house tie.

Masses of kids poured out of the train, and were directed by a huge man with a long beard.

"FIRS' YEARS THIS WAY!" He shouted, funneling the first years to the left.

"Oh -- you need to follow Hagrid," Daphne said.

"Wha-no, I'll just stay with you --"

"You can't, first years have to go on the boats, so they can get sorted," she said. I gave her an uneasy look. Leaving her side was not something I planned to do at all for the rest of the year. She put her hands on my shoulders.

"I'll see you inside, okay? Don't worry -- you'll be fine." She smiled. I took in a deep breath and nodded, following the booming voice of the gargantuan man.

I was put in a boat with six other kids, and when we set off away from the cover of the trees, I saw it. Hogwarts -- it was amazing, a mass of stone buildings and towers, illuminated to cast a warm yellow glow over the school.

"Isn't it amazing?" a girl with blonde braids and a bright smile said to me.

I nodded, still awestruck by the sight. "Yeah, it is."

"Holly Anderson," she said, extending her hand.

"Astoria Greengrass." I smiled.

* * *

Once docked under the school in a little stone tunnel, the giant, Hagrid, led us into the school. A stern looking witch with emerald green robes and a heavy Scottish accent greeted us and told us about the four houses.

Of course I already knew all about them, and it was already determined that I had to get into Slytherin. For one, I was a Greengrass, so of course I would be required to be a Slytherin, all of the family and my relatives were -- but secondly, I had to be in Daphne's house.

The witch, Professor McGonagall, led us into a large room with four long tables full of food and students. In the center of a raised platform where all the professors sat, was an old witches hat on a stool. The Sorting Hat.

The first student called up was the girl I'd met on the boat, Holly Anderson. "Gryffindor!" the hat called. Well, there goes that possible friendship. Last names A through F were called, a few slytherins sprinkled in, before Professor McGonagall called, "Greengrass, Astoria."

Just don't trip. Just walk nice and slowly, head held high, nose up, back arched -- just like Daphne, I told myself. Professor McGonagall smiled warmly as I sat down.

Wow, there sure were a lot of people looking at me. My eyes darted to the far right of the room to the Slytherin table and scanned all the many faces, until I saw Daphne. She smiled widely, hiding her nervousness well. I felt the hat being placed on my head, slinking down over my eyes until I only saw black.

Hmmm, a Greengrass eh? A deep voice curled in my ears.

Please, please, PLEASE Slytherin! I thought furiously, forcing the words to appear in my mind.

Ooh, but you've got a good, sharp mind, no? Could be a Ravenclaw. Not to mention a, hmm, is that a twinge of bravery? Gryffindor could work as well. Oh, and what is this, hidden under your pure-blood pretenses is kindness, a Hufflepuff trait no doubt.

No, this couldn't be happening, I had to be a Slytherin.

NO! Please, no! I must be a Slytherin! I thought, gripping the edge of the stool.

Oh, well then, better be. . .

"SLYTHERIN!" I heard the hat call. The Slytherin table erupted with cheers and Professor McGonagall took the hat off my head. I smiled widely and made my way toward Daphne.

"YAY!" She cheered, hugging me as I sat down.

"Phew, he was saying I could be in the other houses over Slytherin," I said, my voice low, taking in all the wonderful smelling food.

"Well you're here now," she said, tightening her platinum ponytail.

A blond boy from across the table half smiled at me as I gazed longingly at the stack of chicken on a plate before him. Hmm, I knew his face, where did I know his face from? Oh, duh, I thought to myself. It was Draco Malfoy, I should've recognized the hair sooner.

I looked down quickly from the awkward eye contact I'd created, as another first year was sorted into Ravenclaw.