Chapter Twenty Two

August 2, 2002. My wedding day.

My mother slid the last pin into place, completing the complicated little bun she'd created at the back of my head. She pulled two pieces down at the front, tracing the curls with her finger. I saw tears glistening in her cognac eyes from the mirror. I looked up at her, taking her hand in mine.

"You look beautiful," she said, more tears gathering in her eyes, dampening her lashes.

"Thanks, mum," I said, meeting her gaze.

She took my hand, guiding me up. I stood, turning to face the long mirror beside the vanity we sat at. I was momentarily taken aback by the sight. I never knew I could look like this. The dress was simple and silky, the top sleeveless with a curved neckline, thin, sheer material cascading down past the lining of the skirt, into delicate layers, curled trim at the bottom of each piece.

"Are you ready?" she asked, her voice with a perched nostalgia pushing the words forward, like a narration to a book. My book. My life. What a wonderful one it was.

I nodded lightly, and she took my hand. My father was waiting at the bottom of the staircase. He took my arm, making our way to the back door.

We'd decided on a small wedding, (afterall, not many were in attendance) and knowing the Malfoy Manor's gardens were not the most appropriate venue, given their opposition to the marriage in general, the gardens of my house seemed the best spot.

Opening the door, the music picked up louder, all heads turned backward to face us. The white and cream colored peonies were bathed in warm sunlight, the grass a vivid shade of green (which reminded me of how excited I was to be getting a name change).

I had decided not to elect Holly as my maid of honor. It felt wrong to have anyone but Daphne fill the position. My grandparents sat beside Holly, their faces light, while on the other side of the aisle, the stifled expressions of Narcissa and Lucius landed on me. Not that I was paying them any attention, my eyes were solely fixed before me on Draco. He was smiling brightly, as was I.

My father took another long look at me, before dropping my hand, as I took my place beside Draco. The priest began his ceremony, giddy smiles on both our faces (we probably looked foolish, but neither of us cared).

After awhile of beautiful sounding words, the priest joined our hands together, and said, "Do you, Draco, take Astoria as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

"I do," he said.

"And do you, Astoria, take Draco as your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

I looked into those gray eyes, those clear, wonderful gray eyes. The eyes I'd be looking into for the rest of my life.

"I do." My smile was audible. 

Draco slipped the ring on my finger, as I did with his. The priest smiled. "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

I pulled him into the kiss. Here I was. This was it. I was married!

We were both smiling widely, giggling, as our families clapped. "I love you," we both whispered in unison.

* * *

"Mrs. Malfoy, I present thee with the key." He pulled a swirly kind of skeleton key from his pocket with a flourish.

"Why thank you," I said with equal drama to his tone. We walked up the stone path way to the house. It was two stories, the outside walls were rock dash stucco, a red chimney sprouting from the brown roof. The windows were square and many, the door a deep green.

Nothing like the Malfoy Manor, or the Greengrass estate. No, this was ours. If Draco had married anyone else, they would be living in the Malfoy Manor, seeing as he is the heir. But Lucius was adamantly against me being his housemate, and I couldn't agree more. After all, getting to this point wasn't particularly easy on Draco.

His father made his opinions of me known. I was a disappointing match, I was too muggle loving, I was too weak. It was all fairly superficial, until he found out about the blood malediction. Found out the prospects of me having a child were slim to none. He was appalled. The Malfoy line dying? But Draco defied him. It was one of the bravest things I'd ever seen. And so, we'd decided on getting our own house. It wasn't huge or showy, but it was perfect.

"Here, I wanna show you something," he said, taking my hand and pulling me up to the door. I twisted the key in the lock, and his hand still in mine, he dashed to the back door, pulling it open.

"What is it?" I said as he pulled me outside with him. But my question was answered when my eyes fell to the back of the yard, next to a leafy oak tree. There, sat a few plump little green bushes, all bearing the same flower. "Daphnes. . . ." I whispered. I turned to him. A small smile was on his lips as he looked at them. I felt my eyes begin to blur with tears, the hint of a laugh from my mouth, and I pulled him into a kiss.