Chapter Twenty Six

It was almost two week into November, the thirteenth, and I was just about to burst at any second. My belly was enormous, and I waddled wherever I went.

It was a chilly afternoon, and I was just reaching down to shoo a spider from the floor with a rolled up issue of the Daily Prophet, coaxing it out the open back door, when a tightness stretched swiftly from my lower back to my abdomen. I twisted to the side uncontrollably, still bent over. The pain was steady and still, holding me there, then subsided.

Okay. Was that a contraction? Yes, maybe, but it could've just been a pain or a cramp or something, I told myself, waiting to see what would happen.

I moved around slowly for the following five minutes, waiting for something to happen. There. My abdomen tightened again, this time, stronger and more precise. Before another thought could enter my head, something else was happening. My eyes widened. My water broke.

* * *

A few hours later, when the contractions were more intense and regular, we'd arrived at St. Mungo's.

Not to be dramatic, but I legitimately thought I was going to die; I'd never experienced something so painful in my entire life. Seven hours of labor pains, and many, many pushes later, Draco gripped my hand, and said, "It's Scorpius," a small, beaming smile on his lips.

The healer rushed over, placing the baby in my arms, Draco kneeling beside the bed.

In my arms was the most perfect creature I'd ever seen. He was crying, his little face scrunched up. I ran my hand over his little fingers, them wrapping around my thumb. He wasn't the only one crying, tears were pouring from my eyes, Draco sniffling here and there, his hand cupped around Scorpius' head.

I just didn't understand how something could be so amazing, so perfect, so incredible. I moved down closer, running my hand down his cheek. Draco put his arm around me, kissing my forehead, laughing, tears falling from the corner of his eyes.

I was transfixed on the baby, I didn't feel any pain, or aches, my body felt. . . numb. . . .

"She's bleeding, quickly. . . ."

The rapid beating of footsteps and commands were drown out around me. My eyelids were closing in slow motion, paperweights. All I could see was the baby. Then, like drifting at the top of shallow water, a warm darkness.

* * *

My eyes slowly opened, adjusting to warm light. It seemed I was looking at a stone ceiling, slowly sharpening in my vision. A few bird chirps were perceived somewhere in the back of my mind.

Then, more clearly, "Astoria," he said it in the midst of a relieved sigh, his tone desperate, gripping my hand.

I turned my head toward him, my eyes flying open. "The baby, is-is he okay?" I said with a frantic desperation, my heart standing still.

His expression softened. "He's perfect -- he's wonderful Astoria, really. . . ." He smiled softly, and I felt my shoulders relax, my heart beating again.

He was okay. He was okay and that's all that mattered.

Once my adrenaline halted, I registered the hollowness, the limpness in my body. Was this normal?

"What happened? Why did I --" pass out. Pass out for the first hours of my son's life.

He took in a breath, shaking his head. "You uh, you lost a lot of blood and um, your heart beat it -- they thought for a moment, you were" -- his hand was shaking in mine -- "gone."

He looked up at me. "Then you were out for thirteen hours and they didn't know if. . . ." He ran his hand over his mouth, tears now pooling in his eyes, and said, his voice breaking, "I thought I'd lost you."

His words gave me a small pause. I didn't know what to say. I lifted my hand cupping his cheek in my palm, and kissed him. It was a rude surprise when the aching pain flashed through my raised arm. I tried to brush it off. This was just normal, post-birth side effects, right? This wasn't an 'Astoria thing'. No, no. It would all be well.

"Where is he?" I asked, eager and hopeful like a child.

The sadness that resonated in his eyes evaporated, replaced by wonder-filled excitement.

"They have him in the nursery, still sleeping. I'll go get him." He kissed the top of my head and rushed out of the room, an innocent smile on his lips as he left.

My smile faded as I focused on the unwavering pressure, the gnawing soreness in each of my limbs and chest. I kept telling myself it was normal, expected.

I coughed, ruby-red soiling my arm. I quickly rubbed it off with the underside of the blanket as the door opened again, Draco pushing it open with his back and foot, eyes looking down at the bundle of blankets in his arms, cooing and smiling.

Giddy elation swelled in my chest as he lowered the baby to me and murmured, "Here. . . ."

I gasped slightly, a smile curling my lips as Scorpius was set in my arms.

"Hi," I said in a whisper, giggling softly. He was awake, but barely, his little eyelids drooping, his tiny lips parted. Past the sleepiness, I could make out the clear gray of his beautiful eyes.

I looked up at Draco, tears forming, and said, "He has your eyes!"

Draco nodded, grinning, still fixed on the baby.

"I love you so much," I whispered, tracing my fingers over his head.

It was quite shocking, and yet completely unsurprising, to find just how much I loved him after only knowing him for a total of a few minutes. That's all it took for me to know, not realize or think, no, just know that I would do anything for him.

I never knew how much I could love anyone until he was here. I forgot what life without him meant. A missing piece falling into place, making me complete. It was the happiest day of my life. The happiest day of my life.