Chapter 34

Bea POV
Its the opening day for SEA games. Nandito kami ngayon sa Smart Araneta Coliseum for the program. Super chill lang namin na nagbibiruan and nagaasaran as a team while waiting for the event to start. Im quite surprised na di pako kinakabahan considering na we will have our first game tomorrow against Indonesia

"Dawn sana kita mo pa!" Biro ko kay Dawn. Nasa backstage na kami waiting for our country to be called para sa athlete's parade.

"Pabuhat idol!" Dawn answered back. Super dilim and siksikan dito.

"Guys di ko na makita si Ly" Sabi ni Ate Den na inaasar si ate Ly.

"Harsh naman" sabi ni ate habang nagtatawanan kami.

"Ayan na magsisimula na" sabi ni Coach Ramil. Unti unting umandar yung parade hanggang sa malapit na kami sa stage entrance

"Philippines!" Sigaw nung host and unti unti kaming pumasok sa stage, waving our flags while seeing the lights of the audience cheering for us.

"Damn thats bright" Kalei whispered. I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed and proud of what we accomplished. Dati kasama ako sa audience. Now, kasama nako sa chinicheer nila.

—————————————
The next day....
"Guys. Isang set lang yon! Babawi tayo!" Ate Ly cheered us up after losing a set to Indonesia.

"Ok. Change gameplay tayo ngayon! Jia sa 1, Kalei sa 2, Majoy sa 3, Aby sa 4, Ara sa 5 tapos Alyssa sa 6!" Coach Ramil instructed. He also told us to perform certain combo plays. Our biggest concern now is our blocking. Masyadong nakakalusot yung Indonesia causing us to not have good reception.

"Huhugot muna tayo ng attacks from the back line. Ara, Ly get ready ha" Jia said. Since we needed a taller lineup at front for blocking and we noticed that Indonesia's blockers kept marking Kalei already.

The referee blew the whistle signaling the start of a new set.

"Bea, Mika, you ready ah" Coach Tai told us. I grabbed the substitution card for Ara and Mika had Tyangs.

Ara gave a good first ball to Jia, she set it up and Indonesia's blockers jumped along with Majoy anticipating a quick attack but the ball sailed to zone 6 where ate Ly conveniently sent the ball to the other side without any blockers and gets us a point.

We had a run from 4-0 but Indonesia's setter pulled a dump ball and gets a point. Its now 4-1. Ate Ly gets out of the game and ate Den comes in.

"Magaling manglito yung setter ng Indonesia" ate Ly said as she sat on the bench.

"Ate, she looks at the opposite of where she sets the ball. If she looks right, she sends the ball sa left. Mababasa nyo if yung mata titingnan nyo" Mika said. She was quietly studying their setter pala. Pero mukhang she's right. Kaya pala nahihirapan blockers namin!

"Kaya pala!" Ate Ly said as she realized what we were doing wrong kaya di namin nagbloblockan from the first set. And right on cue, hindi nasabayan ng blockers namin yung spiker ng Indonesia. The score is already 4-4.

"Bea, Mika!" Coach called us and gestured a substitution.

"Sa mata nyo tingnan. Kapag sa kanan tumingin, sa kaliwa pupunta yung bola" Mika said to Joy as soon as we got close. Kalei served the ball and the other side received it perfectly. The setter looked at her right before touching the ball. We moved to the left and jumped. We were able to block the ball!

——————————
We won our first match against Indonesia. And lost our second match against Thailand. We are on fourth set in our third match and its against Vietnam. One more win and we will have a spot in the finals! The score is already 20-18 and lamang lang kami ng 2 points.

Vietnam has this great tall player and we had a difficulty on trying to block her points and get pass her blocks. She's a good friend of ate Ly.

The score is now 24-23 and we are only one point into having a spot in the finals. Ate Den received the ball, Jia sent the ball for a quick attack to Kianna while number 3 was trying to block her. Kianna saw this and opted for a block touch point. She made the ball touch the blocker and go outside giving us a point.

The arena erupted with cheers and chants as we claim a spot in the finals. Its the first time Philippines entered the finals in SEA games!

"Galing mo baby!" I yelled as I lifted her off the ground.

"Mala Hinata!" Dawn yelled. Kianna rounded up a good 7 points and ate Jia was named player of the game with 24 excellent sets, 4 blocks and 3 points.

I leaned closer and gave her a quick peck on the lips. The crowds cheers became much louder.

"Teka lang naman spg!" Sigaw ni Dawn at natawa nalang kami. I looked up at the screen and saw us sa tv. Hala nasa tv pala!

"Huling huli!" Sigaw ni ate Rhea

————————————
FINALS
We entered the arena with cheers from the audience and drums beating loud. We're up against Thailand. Thinking that we've come this far, I'll be grateful to have a silver medal!

"This is it! Manalo, Matalo, para sa Pilipinas!" Sigaw ni ate Ly to hype up the team. The referee blew the whistle and we have the ball first. Jia served it and it hit the net but still fell on the other court with no one to get it. Service ace!

The score is now 10-13 with Thailand leading. Coach pulled Tyang Aby out for Mika. The crowds cheer went louder once Mika was on the court.

Mika was like a magic bunot! She easily piled up 4 points in a row! The other team seems to have errors kasi they already gave Mika two free balls and Mika easily dumped it to the other side. Ate Rhea was playing there too. They had a good connection kaya they were able to pull off a quick attack. Damn, Thailand is crumbling. They called for a timeout

"Keep the momentum going! Atin na to." Ate Ly said.

"We need to keep our game up. So far, we're doing good ladies! Para sa Pilipinas!" Kalei hyped up the team.

Its already the 3rd set. We managed to win the first set pero Thailand got the second set. The score in now 18-22 in favor of Thailand. Coach subbed me in for Ara. On the front line, it was Kianna, Kalei and me. Sa back line, it was Jia, Dawn and ate Ly.

"Bawi!! Apat na points lang yan guys! One point at a time" ate Ly said in our team huddle.

The opponents served and Dawn was able to give a good first ball to Jia and she sent the ball to me for a quick attack and I managed to get a point.

Its now 22-24 still with Thailand in favor. Thailand served the ball and Kianna received it. Jia jumped up and pretended to set the ball to me but ended up dropping it scoring a point. Its now 23-24! But Thailand still won the third set because of a block touch that went outside.

We're already at 5th set, with the score 14-13 in favor of Thailand. One point nalang sila na champion!
Jia set the ball to me and I sent it to the other side but they were able to receive it. Their setter sent the ball to their ace and opted for a back attack and she smashed it to our side and got the point.

"Ok lang yan! Bawi next time!" Ate Ly cheered us up.

"Hoy nakasilver tayo! Congrats!!" Tyang Aby celebrated. We were happy with silver kasi atleast its a start. Coach Ramil and the staff congratulated us as soon as we were in the hideout.

"This isnt a loss. This is a start of many victories ahead!" Coach Ramil said.

"Tara na sa LU!" Sigaw ni ate Den