Chapter 4: Without warning

"Hadley, what the hell was that? We are so gonna be caught! Go upstairs! Grab all the clothes you'll need for a week. Don't grab things that are too heavy." Kyler was still barking orders at me when I tuned him out. I ran upstairs. I don't need him barking orders at me. I'm 16 now. I'm in control of my life.

I grabbed my things, threw them in my bag, and headed down stairs. Well, headed is an understatement; I ran downstairs. Kyler was already waiting at the door. He had a large bag on his back, a sleeping bag above the bag on his back, several canteens around his neck, and he had on his hiking boots. My oh my what is he getting me into? We didn't really have time to talk about it considering several of the Army men were going house to house to make sure everyone was in the square.

We headed out the door and went West; opposite of the center of the town. I had just tripped on the third branch when I decided Kyler was going to tell me what is going on, "Kyler. That is it I can't-"

"Hadley shhh they can still hear you. We are almost there," he responded almost annoyingly.

"Almost where?"

"I said shhh!"

Okay, seriously? I'm not five. I know what he said and I chose not to listen to him. I just want to know where we are going. I cannot keep carrying my stuff if I am going to keep tripping. It just is not going to work.

"Thank god," Kyler breathed out as we came to a harsh stop, "They're home."
"Who is home?" I responded; assuming he was talking to me.

"Hadley shhh they can still be listening. They are everywhere."

"Who are everywhere?"

"Shhh I will explain when we get inside." Kyler then went running towards a door that looked so much like a tree. Once inside, Kyler locked the door behind us.

"Kyler, what is going on?" I said, breathing heavily.

Just then someone turned the corner with a bat in hand. Wow. Tall, dark hair, beautiful smile. He is probably 5 foot 11 inches. Olive tan. Longish hair that looks like it would blow a little in the wind. Every part of him seemed so perfect. He obviously worked out a lot. I mean, I can see his six pack because his shirt was tight. He just looks so-
"Bubba?" the boy said killing my train of thought.

"Josh! Look at you! You've grown so big. The last time I saw you, you were still afraid of the dark. What are you now? 18? 19?" Kyler stated.

"17 sir," Josh responded. Josh. At least now I can put a name to his beautiful face. It makes my life a little easier to know what I will never have. I couldn't help but tune them out and watch Josh's every move. He just seemed so perfect. And how did he know my Uncle? Oh well, that doesn't matter anymore.

Why are Kyler and Josh staring at me? Oh my gosh! I am staring right at Josh!
"W-What?" I asked a little confused as to why they were staring at me.

"He asked your name," Kyler responded.

"H-Hadley. My name is Hadley," I said a little shaky.

"Well, Hadley, I am Josh and it's my privilege to meet you," Josh said in literally the sweetest voice ever.

Oh my gosh. I need to stop. Hello! Earth to Hadley! Your Uncle just drug you through the woods. Get your priorities straight!

"Well, Josh, I am gonna go and talk to your old man. Hadley doesn't know anything. Her parents asked me to keep her concealed from everything. Would you mind showing her around?" Kyler asked.

"Sure," he said almost what I assume unhappily.