Chapter Nine

Snape:

Oh, these new students remind me of people I knew a long time ago. Merlin, I thought I was finally free from them. Bloody Potter. I hated him and still do hate him to this day. He stole Lily from me. My Lily. The love of my life. And he got her killed. Killed! She's dead, and it's all his fault. I could have protected her, I could have kept her safe! But no, she had to run off and marry him instead. I hate him and all his stupid, arrogant little friends. Godric, when I found out that Lupin was coming back to teach I got angry. Really angry. That bloody werewolf managed to get a position here. Eugh, it makes me feel disgraced to even be associated with the whole establishment but I have to suck it up. Dumbledore has provided me with protection, good protection, while many other death eaters have been rounded up and imprisoned. And then Lupin did that stupid thing with a Boggart and made me out as some kind of joke. Oh, Longbottom will pay for that one! I have taught here for 13 years, and I still receive less respect than a werewolf who has been here days! And he got the Defence Against the Dark Arts post! I've been requesting it for years and yet Dumbledore continues to deny me it. No, I'm not very happy. And now Black's escaped from Azkaban. Oh I hope that I'm the one that catches him. Serves him right. He tortured me at school, him and Potter. And now I have to teach Potter's spawn. He's nothing like her, like Lily. He is the living reincarnation of his stupid, worthless, arrogant, thieving father. And I loathe him. With every part of me.

And now, here are two new students who remind me uncannily of Black and Potter disrespecting me by laughing at me in my own classroom. Oh, I'll teach them a lesson all right! "Detention. 8 o Clock. Tonight. You'll be polishing the trophy room with Filch. Now shut up and sit down or you'll get a weeks worth." I say to them. I see them sigh and share an exasperated look with each other, but sit down nevertheless without saying anything. I begin my class. Today I'm taking them through some theory. "Now," I announce to the class, "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?". The new girl, Holly I think her name is, raises her hand eagerly. Ugh, this reminds me of that dratted Granger girl in Potter's class. When no one else raises their hand, I'm forced to ask her. "Yes, Miss..." I start. "Williams, sir. Asphodel and wormwood create a sleeping potion so powerful that it's known as the Draught of Living Death." she says, obviously proud of herself for knowing the answer. "A textbook answer. Very original of you." I say, scathingly. A couple sniggers sound throughout the class. A flash of hurt, shock and sadness quickly flash in her eyes, before returning to a sort - of downcast expression. The boys she came with look angry at my reply. Aha! Serves them right! All of them! "Ok, who can tell me what a bezoar is and where would I find one?" I ask. Once again no one but the Williams girl raises their hand. "Yes, Miss Williams?" I ask her. Good grief, she reminds me of Lily. Stupid, I know. She starts, "A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and will save you from most poisons.". "Once again, taken word - for - word from the textbook." I say. This time no hurt is there, just some defiance. Now, that is very unusual. "Finally, what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?". "Please, sir." the Williams girl speaks, except without being called upon this time, "Monkshood and wolfsbane are the same plant, which also goes by the name aconite.". "Are you incapable of restraining yourself Miss Williams or do you take pride in being and insufferable know - it - all?" I say to her. No doubt about it this time, hurt is plastered all over her face.

The boy that reminds me of Potter, Thomas Alexander I think his stupid name is, now speaks up, "How dare you? You asked a question and she knew the answer. I think that if nobody knew the answer that would reflect very poorly on your teaching, wouldn't it sir?". He places emphasis on the word 'sir', as if he believes that he is above calling me that. "Detention for a month Alexander!" I declare, moving over so that I'm standing over him. "Oh, Batman's coming to get me!" he says, arrogantly smirking. "Right! That's it! Detention for a year and straight to the Headmaster's office! I do not take cheek from anybody - least of all pathetic little twats who think they know everything! Everyone else, get your books out and study. Merlin knows you need to. You shall work in silence and I shall return shortly, hopefully with Mr Alexander here packing his bags. Now, go!" I say this all quite fast, grabbing the boy in question by the collar and yanking him from the room.

The insolent little brat doesn't even have the decency to look sorry. He is still smirking when we arrive at the Headmaster's office. I say the password and we begin to ascend the stairs. I let go of his collar and knock on the door. "Come in!" sounds Dumbledore's voice from the inside. "Ah, Severus. Is there an issue here?" Albus says as I march Alexander into the room. I explain the situation to him. "Ok, Severus. I shall deal with Mr Alexander here. You had best get back to your class." he says. I nod my head and leave the room.

There is something wrong with these new students and I will make sure to find out what it is!

Lily:

I can't believe Potter stood up for me like that. It was actually really nice of him! I was shocked at Severus however. What has happened to him? What has happened to my best friend? It was quite scary, the way in which he addressed me. The first time I was hurt, but I didn't let that show. Well, maybe for a split second I did but I recovered myself quickly. The second time I was also a little hurt, but I wasn't going to let him see that. This isn't Severus. The Severus I know showed me how to make flowers grow out of my hand. The Severus I know is caring, compassionate. He has life in his eyes. This Severus however, doesn't. His eyes are empty, dead. They're like black tunnels. It's horrible to see him so broken. I'll help to fix him. I need to. I know I can help. I just have to do so without him knowing that it's me.

When Potter stood up for me, I....I don't know. It made me feel, and I know that it's stupid to say but I can't help it. He made me feel special, cared for....loved even. He made it better. I didn't even know that Potter could make me feel this way. Stop Lily! He can't! You're just imagining things because you're hurt. You're feeling emotional. Am I stupid to think that maybe...just maybe, Potter might like me? For real?

Tell me that I'm not completely crazy for thinking that. Please.