𝐢𝐱

- Nagisa -

The walk to the convenience store was rather awkward. We were divided into two, Natsuki and Leon walked before us while Suzumi and I walked behind them. I guess adding another person whom they don't know added to the awkward air between us.    

We sat in the park as we enjoy our dessert. I noticed how much Suzumi was passively looking at Leon. The awkwardness was excruciatingly painful as I can't find out how to start a conversation. My eyes begged for Natsuki to do what he's good at-- talking. Thankfully, he received the message and began the conversation by clearing his throat. 

" So... since junior high is almost over. Which high school are you guys planning to go to?" Leon avoided our gazes and continued eating his food. 

" Karasuno. How about you?" Suzumi replied with surprising enthusiasm. My eyes widened in shock and I looked at her in excitement. 

" Me too!" We both cheered and giggled while Natsuki could only laugh and smile at us. 

" You're going to Karasuno, Sawamura-san?" His face looked disappointed. I didn't want to jump to conclusions but could it be that he doesn't want me to go to Karasuno? I laughed that thought off my head as soon as I heard it in my mind. It cringes me, it was like I was tooting my own horn. 

I nodded my head and smiled. " What about you Ushijima-Kun?" he coughed and quickly glanced at Leon. 

" Shiratorizawa Academy." 

" That's pretty near to Karasuno." Suzumi declared while sipping on her drink. The three of us looked at Leon, hoping he'd also answer the question. He smiled and looked at us as if we were doing something weird. 

" What?" He asked nonchalantly. 

" What high school are you going to?" Suzumi asked. It was clear that Leon heard the question and would rather avoid answering it more than anything. Thought the reason why he doesn't want to is unclear. 

" No clue." He replied and stared at the rocks below us. Natsuki and I looked at each other, his face showed more than disappointment. The group was silent for a few moments and I caught Leon's eyes on me. I wish he had not done it, I wouldn't have reacted like an awkward person and look away almost immediately. Ever since what Suzumi told me, I have been super cautious of Leon. 

I keep thinking that its just paranoia and that no man would ever like someone like me. Right, no one would. I took a breath in and exhaled it quietly. 

" Why do you plan on going to Karasuno anyways?" Suzumi ended the painful silence and asked me. My eyes were almost thanking her for doing that.

" My mom and dad went there," I told her and smiled. Suzumi gasped and covered her mouth with her hand.

" No way. My dad went there too!" She grinned and excitedly grabbed my arm.

" Was your father a part of the volleyball team?" I nodded almost too excitedly. 

" My dad was too! He was the libero. He liked to brag to me about how people called him the 'guardian deity' or something."  She laughed as she shook her head. 

" I never understood what he meant." Suzumi rolled her eyes and chuckled. I have heard of that nickname before, my dad mentioned it several times but I could never seem to remember who he was talking about. Now that I know it's Suzumi's father, I got amazed by small the world is. 

" Wait, so your father was Hinata Shoyou's teammate as well?" Natsuki sat beside Suzumi and excitedly held her arm. Suzumi's enthusiasm seemed to have rubbed off in Natsuki and me. It's crazy how we all go to the same school but not know each other. It makes me wonder how many kids in our school could be the kids of our parents' friends or teammates.