Chapter Six

The next day we started training. There is a dark-skinned woman giving us advice. She is a whole lot better than Haymitch, but none of the other tributes seem to be listening.

She is saying, "Try the training excersizes you aren't really familiar with. Don't always go for a weapon. Learning survival skills may help you more. There are more ways to die from exposure, rather than a knife."

Then we are off. We each do our own thing and make sure to stay away from each other. I head straight to the section on tree climbing. It doesn't take long for me to learn all at that station. Then I head over to some metal bars to climb.

I have 3 days of training, so I've decided I'm going to focus on something different everyday. Today I'm trying to go for the activities that test physical abilities. Like speed, strength, ect.

I see some of the tributes a bit more. It's very convenient because on one wall there is a screen showing everyone's picture, name, age, and district.

We train for the whole day and the next thing I know we are sitting at the table with the district 12 crew. I can't believe it either... Haymitch is putting off the drinking to help us.

He tells us about what makes the tributes from each district lethal, especially the careers. He says they usually win almost every year. To every bad thing Haymitch says, Effie has to reassure us that everything is fine. We know it's not.

The next day my focus is weapons. I am not that experienced with any type of weapon but I figured it might come in handy to know how to use a few if them.

Katniss tried to take me hunting once but I freaked out when I actually killed something and I wanted to save it. She did show me how to use a bow. So I go to that station first.

I shoot arrows at a dummy covered in targets. I just start shooting arrows, aiming but not looking where they are going. I look up to find 9 of the 12 arrows I shot hit the dummy. 3 in the head and 3 in the chest. The other 3 were in the arms or legs.

Then I move on to knives. It times me as I throw knives at moving targets. I don't do as good with knives as I do with arrows, so I decide to stick to using a bow.

For the rest of the training session I learn how to make traps. That's what I'm best at. I'll use that for my skill tomorrow.

One thing has come out of today's training... All of the tributes were watching me. I don't know whether that's good or bad.