Chapter Nineteen

I'm breathing heavily as Thresh has a grip on my shoulders. He struggles with himself as he pulls out a knife. I can only imagine the look on my face as these events happen.

This is it. I'm going to die. Thresh will kill me. I wish I could say one last goodbye. To Katniss, Gale, my mother, and Peeta if he ever sees this.

Thresh slowly pulls the knife to my neck. He looks like he is in pain. Why won't he just kill me? Oh, he is doing it slowly, so I feel more pain and suspense. I look up to the sky as a tear drops from my face.

"I can't!" He screams. He drops his knife in the ground. He puts his hands behind his head and he starts pacing. "I can't," he grumbles, "I just can't."

He mumbles something about not killing a 12-year-old. "Thresh," I say. He looks at me. "Did you kill the girl from 1?"

"Yes," he replies, "She killed Rue." And then he just walks away. He showed me mercy, and just because I am the same age as Rue was. Was he close to her? Doesn't matter, I tell myself.

The sun comes up and shines on a long white table near the cornucopia. It's covered with weapons, food, packs, and everything you could want. Around it are lumps. Looks like someone buried something all over the cornucopia.

All at once all five remaining tributes dash to the table. And the adrenaline is tense. I see Cato stick a spear in Thresh's back. The cannon goes off. I feel bad. Thresh was nicer than I thought. Then something else happens. A hovercraft comes, not to pick up Thresh, but it lifts up the table with the feast.

It was a setup! The Capitol dragged us here for a blood bath. Cato screams to Clove. "Get the little one," he yells.

Clove looks at me with devilish eyes. She is about to chase after me but she steps on one of the lumps and blows up. They are land mines. Reburied land mines. That must be that job the boy from 3 had.

You can barely hear Clove's cannon after she blew up. But it wasn't over. That land mine triggered the others to blow up. I started running away from the explosions. They are headed toward my direction.

I am running for my life. I don't want to die like my father did. I feel a tear coming down my cheek. Maybe I'll see him soon.

I see Peeta. I reach out for his hand even though I'm far away. I just keep running. I'm getting tired. I'm getting closer to Peeta. I jump to get me further. And that's when I'm blown sky-high by the land mine.