Chapter Eight

I sit in a dressing room with Cinna. He designed my interview dress. Right now he is pinning it on me. "Turn around," he says. "You look beautiful!" I blush.

The dress is sleeveless, and the skirt just reaches my knees. It is mostly black but it has a red stripe at the top, the waist, and the bottom. I am wearing black sandals with a heel.

Cinna has put my hair in a bun. It has a pin in the very center with a design that looks like a primrose. My arms are bear except for little jewels Cinna has arranged across my shoulders.

He leads me out to a wide hallway lined with 24 chairs. He places me in the one second to last. There are only a few other tributes sitting in their chairs, others are still getting ready.

Cinna pushes a loose peice of my hair behind my ear. "Don't be scared," he says, "I'll be in the audience, find me and look at me if you get nervous. I'll see you after the show." I nod, and he leaves the hallway.

Soon enough all 24 chairs are filled with all the tributes. I have to watch most of them do their interviews before me. This is going to be a long night, I just know it.

I watch the district 1 girl, Glinmer, go up with a poofy pink dress. She acts all girly and hyper but she talks about murder. Her district partner, Marvel, does something similar.

I would always hate to live in district 1. Sure it's the wealthiest district, but they act so much like the Capitol it's sickening.

Both of the district 2 tributes act ruthless. It's like they have a thirst for blood. That is what the district 2 tributes do every year. This year their names are Cato and Clove.

I watch every single tribute in districts 1-11 do their interviews. Some act brutal, some act bashful, some act smart, but it's all one big act to get sponsors. That's all I care about too. That and I want to get a message out to my family.

Finally, it's my turn. I am right behind the curtain about to get onstage. I can feel the butterflies in my stomach. "Please give a warm round of applause to Miss Primrose Everdeen!" Caesar announces.

I walk onstage. I am so happy Cinna didn't design a full length gown for me. It's much easier to walk now than it was while training with Effie.

I sit down in my chair. "How are you Miss Everdeen?" Caesar asks.

"I have to say Caesar," I reply, "I love the Capitol luxury! My hotel bathroom is like one big spa!" I go on about how luxurious my life is now. I don't believe a word that comes out of my mouth.

"Well I'm glad you are enjoying yourself," Caesar says. "Now I hope this question isn't too personal, Do you have family at home?"

"Why yes Caesar, I do," I reply. "A sister and a mother." I hate how happy I sound.

"Did they come and say goodbye?" This is where I sound sad, and like normal.

"Yes" I respond. "Do you mind if I send them another message?"

He looks at me with big sorrowful eyes. "Of course, of course. Go on."

I scoot in my seat to face the camera. "Mom, Katniss, I just wanted to say I love you one last time. I hope you do well in district 12 for the rest of your lives. And please say goodbye to Lady and Buttercup for me." I start to feel the tears in my eyes.

Caesar puts a finger up to his eye, as if to wipe away a tear. I don't know if it's real or fake. "That is so touching my dear Primrose. But it seems as if you have given up."

"Well Caesar, you can't imagine a 12-year-old winning the hunger games, can you?"

"It's possible, don't give up! Promise your family, yourself, and all of us that you will at least give it all you've got to try to win."

I turn to the audience again. "Well I can't make any promises, but I'll give it all I've got."

Caesar lightens the mood. "That's the spirit!" My buzzer goes off. "Give it up for Primrose Everdeen!" The audience goes wild.