Chapter Twelve

I wake up and it's still dark. I hear a loud scream and some faint crying. A cannon goes off I hear some laughter. "Nice kill, Glimmer" I hear a voice say. It's deep and masculine. If he is with Glimmer, it must be Cato.

I look down from my tree and see five figures walking towards my tree. I pray they don't see me. Glimmer stands out because of her long blonde locks. She acts flirtatious. "Thank you Cato," she says. I was right.

I hate how they joke about killing. It's just like the Capitol. They know they are going to die too, right? After all, there is only one winner.

I suddenly wonder, why are there five of them? There is Glimmer and Marvel from district 1, Cato and Clove from 2, but who else?

I can just barely make out the face of the boy from district 3. Him? Why him? He is like 14, and really scrawny. Rue and I are the only other people who range close to his size. I doubt he would be much use to them when it comes to killing.

I try to be as quiet as I possibly can. i hear a snicker. I take one small look at the ground and I see Marvel looking up at me. An evil grin spreads across his face.

"Hey guys," he says, "I think I've found another one." Oh no, he sees me. what do I do? All my stuff is already gathered in my pack. So I put it on and climb up the tree.

"Hey there it goes!" Cato yells.

"Who is it?" Clove asks.

Cato takes a second to look at me. I hear his deep laugh. "I think it's little Primrose," he says.

I can hear the careers trying to climb up the tree. Then branches snap and I hear them fall. Can they really not climb a tree? They've trained all their lives and I learned this skill within a few hours.

I keep climbing, my life may depend on it. "I'll get her," Glimmer says. I hear a loud whip sound, it's a bow releasing an arrow. I feel the arrow scrape past my right arm. Keep going I tell myself.

I try to keep climbing but the next branch I grab breaks and falls to the ground. So I pick a lower branch and that's where I stay. I still can't believe they can't climb!

"Well get you little Miss Primrose, make no mistake of that," I hear Cato yell. "Maybe not now but don't think you'll last long in this arena."

"C'mon Cato," I hear Glimmer say, "I hit her who knows how deep the arrow went. Let's leave her to bleed and we'll find her later."

Silence. "Okay," Cato finally replies. then he yells up at me, "Don't get to comfy!" And I watch as they walk off in a different direction.

I check the spot where the arrow hit me. I can't see all that well. I just take the gauze out of my pack and wrap it around. Then I tie myself up again and go back to sleep.