Chapter Three

I never thought I would see someone like Peeta driven to tears. I usually don't see other people cry at all because everyone in my family always tried to hide it. But now Peeta is tearing up right in front of me. Of course Effie ignores this and keeps talking.

We are now on the train heading to the Capitol. At the speed it's going, I expect myself to feel nauseous but I don't.

"I just wanted you to know that this is still an opportunity for you both. Even though it's only a short while, you still get to enjoy all of the little rarities you don't get back home," Effie tells us.

She leaves the room to get Haymitch. I've only seen him at the past couple reapings, and if this is what all victors turn into... I might be better off dying in the arena.

Peeta and I sit in silence. A door slides open and districts 12's only victor walks through... Or at least what is left of him. I don't have any interest talking to him but Peeta is eager to interrogate him.

After quite a few questions from Peeta about the games, I don't regret my choice of keeping my mouth shut. "Why in such a hurry?" Haymitch asks.

"You're our mentor. Isn't it your job to tell us how to get sponsors? Or how to survive? You did win this thing once." Peeta says.

"Fine. Okay. You want advice, do ya? You'll get all you need in training but for now... Don't die," Haymitch responds.

Even I'm getting annoyed now. "Why are you here? Why do you come back to 'mentor' us if you act so worthless?" I spat out at him.

He looks surprised. "Oh look, the quiet once does have an opinion." He says. Then he gets all up in my face. "And sweetheart, I don't really have much of a choice in my actions anymore." With that said he walks out of the room.