(XIII) Water

"Where's Momo?" Aang asks, noticing that the little lemur is nowhere to be found.

I frown. "It's weird, I could've sworn I saw him somewhere a few moments ago."

We suddenly hear Momo's horrified screeching in the nearby distance. Hurriedly, we follow the noises he's making, until we finally find several hanging cages swinging right above our heads in the treetops. I spot Momo amongst the victims trapped up there, as well as two other hog monkeys.

"Hang on, Momo!" Aang tells him, as he uses his bending to get himself to the top of the tree Momo's hanging from and undoes the trap's mechanisms, lowering the cage to the ground and making it easier for Sokka and Katara to free him.

"You okay there, Momo?" I ask, but all he does is grab a lychee nut from the trap and run away.

The other animals start making a fuzz, and I can tell from Aang's expression that he wants to help them out, too. "All right, you too."

Aang attempts to follow the same procedure, but Sokka grows bored and throws his boomerang at the ropes holding the cages, effectively cutting them and allowing the trapped hog monkeys to leave the cages and run free.

"Well, that seems to have been effective, too," I note.

"These are Fire Nation traps," Sokka says as he observes the traps carefully. "You can tell from the metalwork. We better pack up camp, and get moving."

"Alright, let's go get Appa—" I begin, but Sokka shakes his head.

"Uh-uh. No flying this time."

"What? Why wouldn't we fly?" Aang questions.

"Think about it: Somehow Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticeable."

"What? Appa's not too noticeable!" Katara retorts.

"Appa's a fuzzy, flying, gigantic bison with a giant arrow on his head," I say, sighing heavily. "I'm afraid Sokka's got a point. However... We can't exactly walk all the way to the North Pole, Sokka."

"Not the whole way."

"You're just jealous of Appa's arrow," Aang replies, glancing at me as he caresses Appa affectionately.

"I know you all want to fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk," Sokka insists.

"Who made you the boss?" Katara snaps with annoyance.

"I'm not the boss, I'm the leader."

"You're the leader? But your voice still cracks!"

"I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior, so... I'm the leader!" Sokka retorts once again.

"If anyone's the leader, it's Aang. I mean he is the Avatar," Katara notes.

"Are you kidding, he's just a goofy kid!" Sokka replies.

Aang shrugs. "He's right."

"Guys, who cares?" I interrupt their bickering. "Arguing won't get us anywhere, and we still have a long journey ahead of us."

"Alya's right," Aang replies, smiling at me in compliance. "Sokka, are you sure this is the best move for us right now?"

"Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts."

"Okay, we'll try it your way, oh wise leader," Katara replies mockingly.

"Who knows? Walking might be fun," Aang comments, strapping on his backpack.