(XXIV) Air

"Nice bubble, Katara," I tell her, as I practice my stances over and over, taking advantage of our sudden spare time.

"Nice moves," she replies with a grin, referring to the back flips I've been practicing for quite a while now, using my airbending to make the turn more swiftly. "How come you always seem to do better in your training when we train this early?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I guess I must really like the sunlight or something."

"Wait! What do I do now?" Aang's voice resonates through the stream's shore, and I watch him from the corner of my eye, as he trains with Jeong Jeong.

"Silence! Talking is not concentrating! Look at your friends, are they talking?" Jeong Jeong says, pointing at us before directing his finger at Sokka, who is supposedly fishing. "Even that oaf knows to concentrate on what he's doing!"

"Hey!" Sokka protests.

"But what am I concentrating on?"

"Feel the heat of the sun. It is the greatest source of fire. Yet, it is in complete balance with nature!" Jeong Jeong's words immediately draw my attention. I never realized the connection firebenders had with the sun. I guess it makes sense.

"So when do I get to make some fire?"

"Concentrate!" Jeong Jeong retorts bitterly.

Katara and Sokka giggle, while I frown thoughtfully. I wonder what would happen if the sun wasn't there anymore. What would happen to firebenders?

***

As the day goes on, I continue working on my stances, happily spending my time perfecting every move I've learned up to now. I must say, I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished so far, and even though I still have a lot to learn with the sensory aspect of airbending, I have managed to gotten better at the defensive maneuvers Aang has taught me. Not that he's that dedicated of a teacher, if we're being honest. Most of the time, he just comes up with a grin and tells me "check this out!" and I am left to figure out how he did it, or he teaches me through games of Simon Says. Still, his intentions are good, and that's what counts, right?

"Master! There is trouble," a man says hurriedly, and I suddenly realize that I'm not alone here, and that both Jeong Jeong and Aang have been training around here, too.

"What's going on?" Aang asks worriedly.

"Concentrate on your leaf!" Jeong Jeong says, before hurrying behind his comrade to fix whatever the issue is.

"This is the worst firebending instruction ever! All he does is leave me for hours to concentrate or breathe!" Aang groans with annoyance, throwing the leaf away.

"Hey, calm down. You're the one who wanted to learn, remember?" I tell him. "I really think there's a reason that you're supposed to learn the elements in a certain order."

"But I'm ready!" Aang complains once again. Suddenly, he conjures up a small flame and grins at me excitedly. "I did it!"

"Well, that's cool," I agree.

"Now that's some firebending!" Aang says, as he starts to juggle with the flame as if it were a ball, immediately worrying me.

"Aang, didn't you ever hear the phrase 'don't play with fire or you'll get burned'? Well, I can't think of a more literal application."

"Watch this!" Aang says, as he creates a huge flame that he directs only a few feet beside me.

I gasp, absolutely concerned now. "Aang, be care—"