Chapter 49

Chapter 49: A Ride To The Imperial Capital

It was such a fleeting and tiny joy.

I might've been just imagining things. But, I don't mind it even if it was just an imagination.

The Duke... called my name.

He saw me as Melissa that time. And yet, he rushed to my side with that kind of face that concerned about me.

Having to think of that makes me feel happy... So happy that I couldn't help but make a smirk on the surface.

But more than that, I felt reassured.

Along with a line like 'I'm so glad...' in my thoughts, I lastly gazed at the Duke's gaze before I lost my consciousness.

There was no coldness in his eyes.

I was thrilled, seeing that.

The reason why I didn't wish to let him see my weak side was because of fear. I have always been afraid of how he would act when I do. Because, if his reaction were as if it did not concern him at all, I would've been broken again.

Just by thinking that he'd watch me with his cold gaze as I collapse, like a heartless person, made me want to oppose of seeing that kind of event to happen, at all cost. As such, I did my utmost to keep myself conscious that moment.

But... Now, I feel at ease.

At least, for even a tiny bit... The Duke cared about me.

Days after, new maids were assigned to serve me. Rather, it seems like my former attendants were replaced with new ones.

It's not like I had a problem with that since in fact, they were doing their job properly and there weren't any issues when it came to their attitude toward me. They were much better compared to the old ones. However, the fact that the Duke made an effort to do something like that even though I took back what I said the other day was sort of disturbing.

What's more...

"He even permitted me to use his name to let me purchase new dresses as a compensation."

"Well... It's true that Lady Melissa has made a great loss of clothing after that happened.", Aiden stated a point.

"That's true, but... To think that he'd allow me to access his wealth is a little......."

Thinking that, I began to question the importance of money to the Duke.

"Oh my, are you about to go out?"

A red-haired woman has suddenly joined our small chatter.

It was Duchess Fleurette.

I stared at her from head to toe. Based from her attire, it seems like she was about to go out as well.

"You too, Duchess?", I replied.

"Well, to purchase some new books."

I see. Duchess Fleurette always make a purchase of books by herself, (since some of it are the ones that contain adult contents).

"How about you?", she asked.

"Well... A lot of things happened and here I am now, going to shop tons of clothes.", I answered, being lazy to explain it all to the Duchess.

"I shall accompany you then."

I couldn't react to her statement that soon.

.........Just what-?