Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Replacement

That happened when I was bound to trespass the forbidden area.

'You are not allowed to enter that place.', was what many of the attendants and my brother told me for numerous times. And because of that, my curiosity arose further.

But... I don't regret intruding in that room.

Because if didn't pick that choice-

I would've been living with false happiness from then.

Tap, tap. I could hear my light footsteps, being sneaky as I entered the place where I was banned from entering.

And after my infiltration, I quickly closed the door and took glimpse of what was inside.

It was a room that seemed to be specially made for a girl around the same age as me back then.

Though it appeared to be unused by anyone, it was neatly maintained.

Then, I was filled with amazement after gazing at the giant painting in that room.

What was illustrated there was a girl that had similar features as me.

She had the same long, mint green hair. Even her face resembled mine.

We were too identical if not for her irises which were more of a red color that was most likely inherited from the Duke.

Sherryl Faire von Shevaria.

That was the name that the Duke gave me.

And that's how I was able to know...

That I was just a replacement for his late daughter.

"Is something wrong, Sherryl?", a man's voice abruptly interrupted my pondering.

Before knowing, I was in a daze while I seemed to have a gloomy expression.

"I'm okay father. It's just that I might be a little sleepy.", I replied, stating a lie in order to put an end to the tea party.

'Father'. It has been a long time for me to address him that way that I unconsciously spoke of it in a weird tone.

Because after our relationship became unstable, I decided to dare not call him that way to prevent ourselves from having complaints.

Back on the day, he always looked like he despised how I spouted that word when I call out to him, after all.

Therefore, knowing that it would be for the better, I drew a line to keep myself a distance from him.

"You must take more rest, Sherryl.", the Duke advised, worrying about my condition.

Wendell Acur von Shevaria.

A wise man that gives off an aura of an intellectual with the eyeglass that somehow suits his image. He had a black hair that shone with a brownish color which was also inherited by my sibling.

He is one of those that leads the prospered Ducal Households of the Empire.

He was also rumored to have cheated on his wife that was married off to him through political marriage, though they already had a son who's currently known as my brother.

And what caused everyone to have an uproar about his situation was because of his other partner who's identity was the Priestess of the Holy Church, Evangeline Cia de Clemente.

They were known to have a relationship after Evangeline was pregnant with the Duke's child.

However, this broke the rules of the Holy Church. And thus, the Priestess was denounced from her position and her banishment was concluded.

Nonetheless, the birth of her child soon came before the day of her exile.

And with tears of sorrow, she parted ways with her infant after its birth.

And the child that was left behind in the Duke's grasp was...

Sherryl.

But that child, having a very weak body, she passed away at a young age.

And as for me, who coincidentally encountered the Duke. He took me in as a substitute of his beloved daughter that was a perfect imitation of me. And that was how I became a part of the Shevaria Family.

In truth, I only existed before him in thanks to his flee from reality, and nothing else.

Who he saw in me wasn't 'Melissa', but 'Sherryl'.

That's why, when he finally accepted the truth, I was thrown away like a worthless item in his storage.

And then poof! We go and act like strangers from that point. As if nothing happened at all.

Then, I would get further scolding from him whenever I make careless mistakes.

Even his stare that would always gaze at me softly was replaced into an aloof one.

We became so distant. And due to his sudden change of attitude, I started to act like a stubborn brat to him, resulting us to have an often conflict.

But no sooner, I got tired of it since I felt stupid for yelling at him like an ungrateful child. Hence, I simply stayed quiet and proceeded to plan about my flee from the mansion. After all, I was in a disadvantage when I lost favor from the Duke, specially to the servants that were supposed to serve me appropriately.

Sherryl.... She must've been loved... I thought while walking back to my room with a handmaiden that followed me from behind, after my teatime with the Duke came to an end because of my excuse.

Frankly, I wanted to tell him that I'm not Sherryl in order to let him accept the truth. Then, he would stop the act of being an affectionate father to his daughter, after that. It was uncomfortable for me, basically.

However, I can't. Because, if I do that so soon, I won't gain the valuables that I could sell out there, once I run myself away from this house.

Having that in mind, I could only helplessly let out a sigh.

And while I did so, someone called out to me.

"Where are you heading up, runt?", the boy asked as I looked at him as soon as I heard his voice.

Ugh... It's the sh*tty brat...

The boy that I came across with was my brother, Lucian Hudde von Shevaria.