Chapter 29

The door opened a few minutes later. Heather walked in with Adalyn in her arms.

"Hey, is everything okay? I heard arguing," Heather said. I sighed and closed my eyes. I didn't feel like crying; I felt like ripping someone's throat out. I opened my eyes and looked back to Heather.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Just an argument," I replied. "Can I please be alone right now?" She nodded and left, closing the door behind her. I sighed and laid down on my bed. If the back and forth between Denver and I kept happening, I don't know if I could stay with him. I would stay in California and take care of Adalyn myself if I have to, but I couldn't take Denver's games anymore. I sighed and closed my eyes. There was a light knock on the door. I didn't answer, but they walked in anyway.

"I lied," Denver said. "I hired her to call so I could get back at you. I could never love anyone else; Leana, you know that. I just wanted to get back at you for Teddy, and I know I shouldn't have. I'm sorry." He waited for me to answer. I sighed and sat on the bed so I was facing him.

"Can we stop arguing and just call it even," I asked. He nodded and sat next to me on the bed. He made a move to hold me and I let him. "We really need to stop this and move back to Ohio if we want to raise Adalyn in a... sound and stable place." Denver nodded in agreement.

"As soon as possible," he agreed. We started packing immediately. All we had was our clothes, toiletries, and baby stuff. We were packed quickly. Heather was coming with us. We were going to leave the cradle here and buy a new one when we got to Alera. Our plan was to leave tomorrow.  I went downstairs. My mom waited for me patiently. I watched movies with her all night. My dad talked with Denver quietly in the kitchen for a little while. I fell asleep on the couch next to my mom in the middle of our movies. I prayed that tomorrow would be better.

~

My mom and dad took us to the airport. We had a quiet trip home. Adalyn only cried once. Heather seemed a little more at ease when we landed in Alera, Ohio. We drove to the house after we loaded the car. I sighed contently as I walked through the house with Adalyn in my arms. Denver and Heather brought our bags in. I showed Adalyn the house happily. When I reached my room, I jumped. Sydney, Ashley, Mike, and a few other friends from school were standing in the room. They all said, "Welcome home," as l turned on the lights. I smiled and hugged Sydney carefully around Adalyn. I heard Denver laughing from behind me.

"Denver called us yesterday and told us you guys were coming back. Heather was in on it too. That's how we got in," Sydney explained near my ear as she hugged me. I released her and went to Denver.

"Thank you," I mouthed. He nodded and kissed me. It was the first real honest kiss that we had shared in a while. The kiss reminded me of the last time he kissed me in the house. I sighed and we all walked downstairs. Heather was waiting in the living room for us with cake. We had a small party that second. Denver turned on the music, but not loud enough to harm Adalyn's ears. Sydney held Adalyn expertly.

"She looks just like you," Sydney smiled. I guess I'm going to have to get used to calling you Leana, huh?" She laughed at my name change.

"Yeah, sorry about that," I smiled.

"I get it though. We just want you to know that your... umm, being famous, won't make us act any differently towards you," she said. I thanked her. Ashley came to hold Adalyn and talk to me as well. The party ended when Adalyn started yawning a lot.

"I'll see you guys next week at school," I yelled out the door as they all left. I rocked Adalyn to sleep quietly and set her in the new crib Heather placed in the house. I went to my room. Denver was sitting on one side of the massive king-sized bed.

"Come on," he smiled. My lips spread into a smile and I got in next to him. His arm went around me. I sighed and closed my eyes. This was how it was supposed to be. Me, in Denver's arms, happy. Nothing bothering us. Heather always there for support. No distractions. No interruptions. Maybe marrying him would only seal the deal. He kissed my hair slowly.

"I love you Leana," he whispered.

"I love you too Denver," I replied. I heard him sigh happily. I turned to look at him and sat up. His eyes opened to look at me as well. I looked into his crystal gray eyes and got lost in them again. I snapped out of it and remembered what I was going to say. I hesitated for a second. "Denver, I will marry you." He smiled and pulled me down to kiss me.

"You will?" he asked happily. I laughed and nodded.

    "I think the correct phrase is 'I do'," I teased. He laughed and kissed me deeply. There was fire and passion in our kiss. Almost as if we rekindled. "Go to sleep." I playfully pushed him off of me. His arms wrapped around me again, but they were tighter around me. I smiled contently and thought about a life with Denver and Adalyn. One more year of high school and I would be able to marry him. That gave the perfect opportunity for us to get used to life in Alera with Adalyn.

Heather would always help with that though. It was nice having her around. I stopped thinking about the future and thought about the unbelievably handsome and patient man who was holding me. God, I could look at those crystal gray eyes forever, and I might just have that. He already had a job here and that was a plus. I would visit my parents every now and then, but I wouldn't tell Adalyn who they were, or who I was for that matter. I wouldn't tell her until she was able to handle it. That was fair enough.

I fell asleep with a smile on my face. I couldn't wait to start my life with Denver and Adalyn.  Sydney and Ashley were still my best friends, even though they knew my background now. It was nice to have friends who are friends with you because of who you are and not what you have. I wouldn't even be able to worry about Claire. She could do what she wanted, but nothing was going to break me now. Things were finally going right, and I had a good feeling that they were going to stay that way