I hate him

Rio and her dad's hatred for one another had been ongoing since Mitsuko could remember, except she hadn't actually realised it was a thing until she was nine and Rio and her father had an actual conversation.

It had been at a sleepover at Mitsuko's house, the first and last one for a long time they ever had one there.

At the time it had been exciting like Rio was a ray of sunshine coming into their home.

Mitsuko held her hand the whole time she gave her a tour of the house.

"...And that room there is full of more book and instruments," Mitsuko told her brightly.

Rio looked around with wide and curious eyes as they passed the room. "Do you even use half these rooms?!"
Mitsuko laughed. "No, not really." She smiled at her as they wandered downstairs. "That's everywhere then- what do you think?"

"Yeah, it's nice." Rio shrugged as they walked down the stairs. "So where's your mom, is she still visiting family?"

Mitsuko's smile tightened. "Yeah, but she'll be back soon!"

It had been nearly six months since she'd left and dad had promised that she'd be back in a few weeks...though, he'd said the same thing five months ago, but this time she was certain he wasn't lying.

"So who's making dinner, the housekeeper?" Rio asked as they headed to the dining room.

"Yeah, her food is nice," Mitsuko replied dismissively. "Gakushuu will be down soon and then dad—they're never late so we just need to wait ten more minutes."

The dining table was already set and it wouldn't be long until the housekeeper, Kimiko, started putting out the food.

"Oh, okay." Rio frowned. "I didn't think your dad would be coming."

"Well, he has to eat too," Mitsuko joked, sitting at the large dining table near the end.

Rio rolled her eyes and sat next to her. "I know that! But you always say he's busy."

"Well, yeah," she replied, shuffling her seat closer to the table. "He spends breakfast with us every morning, and sometimes dinner." She smoothed down her skirt. "Sometimes he's busy so we don't see him at dinner, but he normally tries to eat with us."

"Oh, right..." Rio's frown stayed.

Mitsuko's smile wavered when she saw the frown and quickly held her hand. "Don't worry, afterwards we can hang out in my room."

The brown-haired girl smiled. "Okay. I borrowed my mom's make-up so we can play with that."

Mitsuko's smile widened. "I've never tried that before, we can give each other makeovers and do each other's hair just like in the stories!"

Rio's smile grew. "Yeah, it'll be like in the movies!"

"What are you guys talking about?" Gakushuu sounded annoyed when he entered the dining room. "Nakamura, you're in my seat."

Rio scowled at him. "Use another one then."

Mitsuko laughed when her brother's face scrunched up. "She's a guest, Gaku-nii!"

Her brother huffed, walking past them to sit opposite. "It's still my seat."

"Too bad." Rio rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him. "Nnh! Well, I got here first!"

Gakushuu glared at her when she made faces at him. "Stop it!"

Mitsuko chuckled when Rio kept making obnoxious ugly faces at her brother.