Everyone needs a scapegoat

The second the light came down they all got a single text from Mr Karasuma with a clear message to stay home, but honestly, that was only half of the immediate problem she was going to have to deal with.

Gakushuu was silent for a very long time, staring at them in complete silence as they explained what was going on.

Mitsuko wrung her hands while she stood next to Karma in front of him. "So...yeah...me, Karma, and the rest of 3-E are kind of assassins."

Mom grimaced. "We wanted to tell you, sweetie..."

Her brother blinked once, then twice. The seconds stretched on.

Karma shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Which probably clears up any questions about the weird shit that's been happening."

Gakushuu opened his mouth and then closed it.

Mitsuko sighed. "Look, I wanted to tell you as soon as it happened but dad went all scary eyes on me and then there was the government..."

"You..." Her brother swallowed while they all waited for him to speak. "You...you all..." He pointed at Karma and Mitsuko. "You both...the whole of Class...has been training to be assassins by a mutated ex-assassin teacher who..." He took a deep breath. "Who is an octopus...?"

"Yes..." Mitsuko cringed. "Basically...yes."

Her brother turned to their mom. "And you knew...this whole time?"

"No!" Mom said quickly and then grimaced. "Well, actually, it's only been a few months—your father knew the whole time...obviously, but...well..."

"...I see..." Her brother replied in a very calm voice.

"Uh..." Mitsuko exchanged a look with Karma.

Gakushuu took a deep breath and stared at them in silence again for ten...then fifteen seconds, stretching onto twenty seconds, and then...

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!" He thundered, nearly knocking them back by the sheer force of it.

***

Exactly thirty minutes later, Mitsuko was twiddling her thumbs as she sat at the dining table with Karma and her parents while Gakushuu paced back and forth in front of them.

"I can't believe this..." Her brother fumed, turning to them accusingly. "You all lied to me!"

Karma raised a hand and slowly started to stand. "Technically I'm not even a part of this family so—"

"Shut the fuck up!" Gakushuu swore, pointing at him. "And sit down!"

Karma's eyes widened and quickly sat down.

"Gakushuu..." Mom chided gently. "Don't be rude to—"

"It's his own fault for staying over!" her brother snapped, glaring at them. "You're all involved in this, so deal with it."

Mom exchanged a wary look with dad.

Mitsuko awkwardly cleared her throat. "Look, Gaku-nii, I'm sorry I lied—we all are!"

Gakushuu scoffed "Oh, really?" He looked at his parents and Karma. "Are you!?"

"Of course!" Mom said quickly.

Karma shrugged. "Not really."

"Karma!" Mitsuko kicked him.

"Hey! He's your brother not mine," Karma argued. "I don't care that I lied. It wasn't any of his business."

Dad sighed, looking calm. "You weren't informed, Gakushuu, because you didn't need to know."

"Dad!" Mitsuko felt like tearing her hair out. "Not helping!"