chapter 11 - lady in red

So, I can't believe some of y'all are really out here rereading this book. Like it genuinely blows my mind. I really can't tell y'all how much I appreciate your love and support wow.

If y'all don't know the song lady in red it's an 80s classic so go listen :)

Oh and happy three months of obx. That's literally a quarter of a year... And happy one month since my first chapter 🤪

Enjoy 😝

~~

"Kiara Lily Carrera!" Anna screams from downstairs.

"What, mom?" Kie calls back grumbling already knowing what her mom is going to tell her.

"You have to get ready for the party tonight. I got you some dresses to choose from," Anna says while walking into Kie's room with a suit bag. She unzips it and pulls out three dresses. The first is a long blue satin dress with a high halter neckline and a slit going up to the thigh, then a strapless floor-length light pink floral dress, and lastly was a calf-length red silk dress with a v neck and narrow straps.

Kie sucks in a breath when she sees the red dress. All she can think about is how much JJ would love the dress. He had said she looks good in red, commented on her silk sheets that one time, and of course he'll like the v neck. Perv. Even though she hates these stupid parties she knew it wouldn't be half as bad as long as JJ was by her side.

"Your dad and I like the pink one, what do you think honey?" Kie's mom questions while picking up the dress and placing it in front of Kie while they look at her in the mirror.

"Mom, you know how I feel about floral prints, besides I really like the red one," Kie says walking over to the dress and picking it up. Although she hated all this kook crap her mom does, Kie knew how to appreciate fine quality clothing when she sees it. "Hey, I have a favor to ask and I know it's totally last minute, but do you think you would be able to get a suit for tonight?"

"A suit? My, my, when did my daughter get a boyfriend? Is it for your friend Pope? I've always liked that kid, he's a hard worker," Anna says picking up the other two dresses and putting them in Kie's closet. No matter, how many times Kie tells her mom to stop buying her dresses for these events she always gets them. And doesn't even return the one's Kie doesn't pick. Who does that?

"No, uh, it's actually for JJ. Pope has to work it like he did last time and JJ is kind of banned from working on these events...uh so I asked him if he would be my date so I wouldn't be bored out of my mind like usual," Kie explains to her mom while trying her best to make it sound as casual as possible.

"I don't know, honey. Didn't he start a fight with that Cameron boy last time?"

"That was all Rafe's fault. Y'know men and their ego, he provoked JJ. And as a matter of fact, he was defending me so if that isn't a plus I don't know what is," Kie hopes she isn't trying too hard at this point. But if her mom thought so, she surely didn't show it.

"All right, I'll pick up a few suits make sure he gets here at least two hours before so we can find the right one," her mom says while walking out of the room.

Kie hangs her dress on the hook on the back of her bedroom door and falls back on her bed with a sigh of relief. She had been surprised that her mom agreed to let JJ accompany her so quickly since she had no idea the amount of convincing Kie had to do to get him to agree.

"Come on, J. It's only for one night. A night you get to spend with me. How is that not convincing enough for you?" Kie says looking down at JJ. He had his hat pushed down covering his eyes from the sunset with his hand behind his head while swinging on the hammock in John B's yard.