Chapter 12 : The end of the Maze ( part 2 )

Percy's PoV

"Traitors!"
"Liars!"
"And to say that we were going to follow them!"

Obviously, nothing went as planned.

Back in the glade, we parted to gather everyone in front of the doors, in order to tell them that we had found an exit.

Everything was going well, the gladers were going to the meeting point wondering if we had really managed to find something just by leaving at night rather than during the day.

Once all the gladers gathered, Minho, Thomas and I began to tell our story, until the moment of separation. At that moment, Minho and Thomas began to recount their part.

Thomas started:

"When the wall separated us, we decided to continue hoping to find Percy. We started to run but after a few crossings it got worse. "

All the gladers listened attentively, and Alby seemed about to intervene at the end of each sentence, but he changed his mind to listen to the rest.

I knew what happened next, they told me about it on the way back, which is why, rather than listening, I was watching the entrance to the doors to make sure that a Giant would not tumble over the top in a big concert of shouts to kill us all.
This is the reason why we were gathered here, so as not to be surprised and to have a chance to flee if necessary.

"Once we managed to sow the griever, another creature arrived, a big dog the size of an elephant ..." continued Minho.

A hell dog.
Suddenly, a lump formed in my stomach. My fight against the arai replayed in my memory. The truck-sized dog who joined the fight and saved me was not just an ordinary hell dog.
It was MY hell dog.
Suddenly, a sudden rage as well as an indescribable feeling of guilt seized me. I had left Kitty O'Leary to die, and the worst part was that I didn't remember her.

"... then after Thomas and I got rid of the monster, we heard a loud scream nearby, then little snakes were approaching at a brisk pace. We started running, the walls moved again, and it was is how we came across Percy. "
Thomas finished.
All the gladers were dumb, too stunned to say anything.

So Alby nudged me to tell my part of the story.
I told it all.

“Are you sure it's an outing?” Stanislas asks me.

"Each place where this sign is present, the maze sign, an entrance to its labyrinth is there."

"Another labyrinth. Awesome." Grumbled Newt.

"It's our only way out. We have to hurry, I don't know how long the passage will stay. I'm trying to do it. Who is it ?"

Thomas, Minho and Newt were the first to nod, followed by Alby who trusted Newt's judgment. After having proceeded to a quick vote by show of hands, more than half of the gladers were ready to believe me and follow us.

And there, everything spoiled.

A cry to freeze the blood from the infirmary.
I thought I heard Thomas murmur "Teresa" before leaving in a rush towards the source of the cry, followed shortly by the other bastards.

How could he know the name ?

Upon arriving, everything seemed normal, with a detail ready. Teresa's bed was empty and Alby urged everyone to look for her, but we didn't have to look for her for long.

A glader found her behind the door of an adjoining room, curled up in a ball, trembling from head to toe.
Thomas rushed to get her up and put a blanket over her shoulders.