{ Chapter 28 }

I wandered back into the stable area with a much decorated Rega, and boy was I beat. Blue ribbons and one white ribbon flapped in the light breeze on the string outside her temporary stall. We did SHR proud today. There was a rainbow of ribbons down our sectioned block, proving that our entire team was something tough.

   "Hey Savannah! Let me take care of Rega for you. The coaches wanna see you outside". I turned around to see Rey ready to take the reins. We were supposed to be packing up soon, but if the coaches wanted to see me, then I wasn't going to ask questions.

   "O-okay then? Thank you" I stammered out. I pointed where I had my grooming stuff, and plopped my helmet and gloves into the trunk. Stepping outside meant I was immediately bombarded by sweat bees and the mosquitos that had started to gather.

   "Over here Savannah!" I heard Mr. Watts call out. He was standing by Ms. Brandt and Lynn over by the the truck, the two grooms swarming around getting ready for departure. I could hear the conversation as I neared.

   "...honestly I knew we would do well today, but we haven't had an entire team on the top 10 roster in 3 years, or an Oak Hill cup winner in nearly 4 years." I could hear Mr. Watts saying to whoever was on the iPad. In 4 years there hasn't been a cup winner? Wow! Ms. Brandt came up and gave me a solid squeeze on the shoulders.

   "Great job today kid! There's someone on call who would like to talk to you" I walked up and saw Ms. Flint smiling back in what looked like a hotel room. They must have made it to D.C.

    "Hey Savannah! Way to go on your wins. I've been watching the live-streams. Your horse sense was definitely on the ball. You scare us with those long spot takeoffs in the speed rounds though!" She said rolling her eyes at the last part. "I want you to meet Mr. Watts at the stable tomorrow around 9AM. We have a project that we would like to enlist your help with. You in?" I grinned and looked around at my smiling trainers. I was petrified of what the project could be, but they wouldn't do that if they didn't think it was worth while.

   "Absolutely! Thank you so much! I promise you won't regret it!"

   "Alright, I gotta get to bed so I can deal with these crazy people on the morning," Ms. Flint said, tilting her head at the National team girls cackling at something in the background. "Night y'all." And with that screen went back to call logs. The trainers disappeared to the trailer while I was left with Lynn, and the rest of the team that had showed up as the call ended.

   "I'm impressed Savannah, and I don't give that praise right off the bat" she said with a smile. "I have an old colleague of mine that will be visiting the stables sometime this year. I'm passing your name along for her to watch. Now, I believe a teammate would like your attention". I was immediately ambushed by Avery and her vice grip.

   "You can deny it all you want sis, but you are a freaking badass Savannah Genevieve Bells!" She squealed. "I can't wait to tell the girls!" Avery looked behind me and nodded. Then her hands went over my eyes as she spun me around.

   "Girl what are you-?"

   "Just wait and see"

   When she finally let go, a sheepish looking Drew was standing with Rega and in hand. On top of her shipping gear sheet was a linen cut out with the words "Ride off to homecoming with me?" And check boxes with "yay" or "neigh". No freaking way this went on behind my back without someone giving it away! I don't believe it! As I drew closer to him, from behind his back he drew up a bouquet of a half dozen roses.

   "Just how long have you been planning this?" I asked, feeling my eyes well up.

   "Oh, just since I first talked to you in Calculus" he laughed nervously with a wink. "So what do you say Ms. Bells?" He said, extending the roses and a sharpie. Having gotten the time to build a bond with him, I realized maybe giving this a chance was not a bad idea.