{ Chapter 34 }

At long last, the day we'd waited for since October started came around: The SHR Halloween festival. Everywhere you looked was buzzing with activity as kids and staff set up booths and decorations. I couldn't wait to dress up and walk around with my friends and boyfriend. We'd spent probably close to 2 months working on costume ideas. We'd convinced the Equestrian team to sign up for bobbing for apples in addition to our usual "pony rides", so we were setting up multiple tubs of apples set up to increase productivity. Even Kennedy and Daniel were pitching in with the work.

"Bells, pass me the crate". I turned and shoved the crate towards Leighton Bellinger. Anna and I were struggling with the fall leaf garland against the wind. Finally we got it stapled to the posts without the wind ripping it out of our hands. Even though we were using experienced, sound horses, we couldn't have everything flapping around so close to them. After nearly 2 hours, the booth was finally done. All we had to do was load the apples into the water right before we started.

   "I swear, I never want to see a fall garland again" Anna groaned as we walked back to the dorms.

   "Tell me about it! Wind and floaty objects do NOT mix" Avery groaned as she sidled up alongside me.

   "Girl, you weren't even hanging them up!" I retorted incredulously, raising a brow at her.

   "And neither were you guys since they kept hitting me in the face!" She fired back, matching my attitude. Okay, I had to give her that one. It's hard to concentrate on anything when there's something flying back into your face all the time.

   "Anywaaaay, you guys excited for tonight?" I asked.

   "As much as I love doing this, you see one festival at this school you've seen them all. I always get concerned when we bring the horses out. A lot of the teachers bring their children up here, but I really don't like bringing them around our classmates. Most people who approach them are pretty good about how to treat them, but there's always that one person that you feel like you have to watch because you just KNOW that they're going  to do something that puts them at risk" Anna shuddered. I knew what she meant. I seldom let ANYONE near my horse that doesn't know what they're doing.

   "Well, at any rate, let's try and give SHR a good time"

~~~~~~~~

   As I stood in front of my mirror, I felt pretty satisfied at what I'd managed to pull off. After pulling together a bunch of my current clothes and purchasing a blue vest off the internet, I had put together what I thought to be a fabulous female rendition of Flynn Rider.

 After pulling together a bunch of my current clothes and purchasing a blue vest off the internet, I had put together what I thought to be a fabulous female rendition of Flynn Rider

"Ooooh girl you're looking fine!" Avery complimented from her side of the room. Avery, Bianca, Isabelle and I had gone with a Disney approach and she dressed up as Minnie Mouse with a red polka dot top, a black skirt, white knee socks, short red rain boots in place of heels, and a black mouse ear headband with a yellow bow. She looked cute as a button.