{ Chapter 24 }

As I walked toward the cafe, I felt the butterflies coming around again. Maybe it was just the hunger. I couldn't help but notice the little things as we went along. Unlike most of the people he seemed to be surrounded by in classes, he didn't have quite as confident of a swagger. He walked ramrod straight with a purpose, seeming more military officer than teenage boy. He kept stealing little glances in my direction. How did I know? Because I had a tendency to do the same.

   "So...you pumped for Oak Hill?" I asked tentatively, breaking the silence that had settled. I internally slapped myself, and the butterflies turned into the whole damn zoo. He smirked down at my slight bewilderment.

"I mean, even before I was on varsity, I enjoyed going to that show. Before I was here, my sister was a student here as well. We used to live pretty close, so if she had a show in the area, we would go and see her." Aw, that's so sweet. "Actually, she's an RA in the senior dorm, and you've been mentioned in the conversation a couple times" Uh oh, that could be bad. Do you know Reyana, or Rey as she's usually called?" I almost stopped dead in my tracks.

   "She showed me around a bit the first day on her own time. She said she was a scholarship student too" I admitted. I wasn't necessarily ashamed, but it's hard not to want to be when you're around so many students from rich families. The strange thing was, he didn't get that high and mighty look on his face. Instead it looked like understanding.

   "Yeah, that sounds like my sister" he laughed. We strolled up to the small cafe. A small bell chimed as we opened the door. The whole place had pale yellow walls and concrete floors, and there were vining plants hanging everywhere. I ordered a chicken Caesar wrap with mixed fruit and a cookie on the side, and a hot green tea. Drew ended up settling on an Alfredo pasta and chicken dish and a mixed greens smoothie. I was so glad this place encouraged healthy(ish) eating habits. Moreover, I was glad to see a guy who ate to take care of themself. But why, WHY did that matter to me with him? After we'd been eating in silence for a bit, I finally broke it.

"So I told you my riding story, and I believe we were interrupted before I got to hear yours?" I asked with a smirking smile on my face. He stopped and got a tinge of pink to his face. Then, rather than sit up straight and back in his chair, Drew actually leaned forward, resting on his forearms, and drew in a breath.

"Actually, I think it's best to start my story from the beginning" he said. I sat up and rested my crossed arms on the table, indicating that I was paying full attention to him. Something told me his life wasn't as charmed as it appeared.

"I was born right here in Kentucky. My parents had my sister when they were 19, so that held off college for either of them. My dad was a sales associate and repair man in a local John Deere, while mom was slumming away as a maid." Wow. That had to be so hard. Without thinking, I slid a hand to meet his as a gesture of comfort. Immediately I turned red and tried to retract it. Instead, he kept it there and and squeezed it.

"When my sister turned 4, my mom's older sister moved to Kentucky and took care of my sister during the day, which meant they were able to send my dad to community college and start my mom onto her four year degree. Then when my sister was 7, they had me. Mom was the one who took time off from her path to medical school to take care of my sister and I. Eventually she went back and managed to get accepted into an accelerated program (because of course my mom is smart as a whip). We spent a lot of time with my aunt. And my aunt had an equestrian facility, so it only made sense that we would get put to work, doing chores and training horses." Even in those circumstances, that sounded like an amazing opportunity to have.

"My sister and I excelled with her guidance. My sister caught Mr. Watts' attention and got a full ride when she was a freshman. At this time, mom was working her way through ER residency in a small rural hospital. On her off weekends, if there was a school show nearby, we would always go watch and cheer SHR on. Finally, my mom was done with her residency, and began to absolutely excel as a surgeon. The medical communities across the country were flying her in for cases. Eventually she received an offer as an attending at UCLA's university hospital. My dad managed to get a job in a corporate office for a tractor engine company. Effectively, we were all relocated to California. I was actually able to receive more instruction and compete more. Then when it came time for high school, Mr. Watts was begging us to come to the school. So naturally I was sent here. I got Soldier the summer before my sophomore year. So here I am."