Chapter 12

Katya POV-

I wake up to a knock at the door and I groggily take my arms away from Trixie and get out of bed so it doesn't look suspicious. My mom opens the door after a moment. "Oh I came to get you up." She says.

"I've been awake for a bit." I lie. In reality I've been up for about twelve seconds.

"There's food upstairs for lunch, it's already 11. Is Trixie staying all day?" She asks.

A smile creeps to my face. "Maybe. Can we maybe go to the mall?"

My mom looks confused. "Yeah, why?"

"Prom dress shopping?"

She beams. "I didn't think you were going! That's wonderful Katya. Do you have a date?"

"Obviously." I roll my eyes.

"How didn't you tell me this before." She laughs. "You can't keep a secret."

"I didn't know I was going until late last night."

It takes a moment for the realization to come to her face. "Yekaterina." She warns.

"What." I laugh.

"I just let her spend the night and you two are dating?"

I scrunch my nose. "Maybe."

"I guess you're of age." She replies shaking her head, half laughing. "But if I catch you you're grounded."

"I know mom, that's always been the rule." I say. "We'll be up in a little bit."

She gives me a thumbs up and closes my bedroom door behind her. I chuckle to myself, glad that my mom is so chill about these things. If it was a boy that'd be a different story but as long as I can't get pregnant she could care less.

"What was that about?" Comes a muffled voice from the bed. Trixie is buried under blankets, only a hand visible.

"My mom came to wake us up." I tell her.

Trixie whines and rolls over, taking all the blankets with her. "What time am I staying to?" She asks.

I shrug. "Doesn't matter. I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere today?"

"Where?"

"We could go get prom dresses, if you want." I can hear my voice lose confidence as my sentence ends.

"Yeah that sounds fun and we need them by next weekend." She replies.

I'm relieved that she still wants to go even though I knew she wouldn't back out after already agreeing.

Trixie sits up, brushing tangled hair from her face. Her eyes are still a little red from sleep. Even still I can't help but admire her. I love how pristine she usually looks but something about seeing her like this makes her that much prettier. She's so vulnerable, so human. "What?" She asks.

"Cuddles?" I ask. She gives me a look but breaks after a second.

"Come here."

I crawl into bed next to her and she wraps her arms around me, nuzzling into my shoulder. She's warm from being under all the covers and her hair smells like her strawberry shampoo. My heart could stop beating in my chest and I wouldn't notice. All I can feel is her against me. I'd missed having someone to cuddle with. It's been too long. Trixie's eyes fall closed again and her grasp goes limp and heavy. After about ten minutes I know my mom wants us upstairs to eat before we leave.

I don't want to wake Trixie up but I do, and we get ready before heading up to the kitchen. My mom made sandwiches for my younger siblings and the two daycare kids that come on the weekend. There isn't a ton of food left and I don't really want to eat what she's made. "Mom we're going to eat at the mall." I say and she nods, busy enough to let us leave the house after giving me money and asking no questions.