Chapter 1: Nothing Like Summer

It was summer break in Alola, the Pokemon School had closed long before now. Wingulls could be seen gliding above the ocean, Deerlings in their Summer-form were prancing restlessly in the forests.

Ash had decided to travel to Kanto and visit his mother in Pallet Town. Surprisingly, Lusamine had asked to come along with him, she was due to have an important meeting with the president of Kanto, discussing matters on eachother's regions. Lillie of course, went with them.

Kiawe and Sophocles decided to spend the entire summer on Ula'ula Island, completing as much of their pokedex as possible. Meanwhile, Mallow had joined Lana who was being mentored by Ida, the two friends spent most of their time on the beach, training under the watchful eyes of their cheerful mentor.

"The restaurant will have to wait. Hopefully my brother takes care of things while I'm gone but I have to do something other  than calling out 'Five more pineapple juices!' everyday!" Mallow told Lana while they were training.

Let's not forget about their latest rival, Margaretha. She had set out for the Galar region with hopes of making some Galarian Pokemon friends.

As for Gladion, well.....it's a different story.

Sighing as he thought about how much fun his friends were having, Gladion stared at the boring papers in his hands. He had been staring at it five minutes ago and had not made any progress whatsoever. Umbreon was playing with some other pokemon in the building. Gladion sighed again and scrunched his eyes against the rows and rows of writing, with Lusamine gone, he had to take over acting as President.

"Master Gladion? Miss Lusamine gave you a call." Hobbes approached, holding a tablet. The camera flickered for barely a second before Lusamine's face appeared.

"Hello, Gladion!" His Mother's voice sounded.

"Hello, Mother." Gladion replied.

"Hey, Gladion! How's it going over there!" A familiar shout came from the other end, revealing Ash.

"I'm going to be battling in the Kanto gym tomorrow!" Ash shouted, Gladion rolled his eyes.

"I wish you luck!" He replied, Ash grinned. Lusamine turned the camera again and this time, Lillie appeared, holding Snowy in her arms.

"Hello, Gladion. Hope you aren't having much trouble over there! You know, with all the paper work?" Lillie asked, she held on to her hat, it was quite windy in Kanto.

"Nope, not a problem!" Gladion lied. Lusamine smiled.

"Well, we'll be bunkering down in a hotel. Have a good day, Sweety!" Lusamine kissed the camera, Gladion fell off his chair.

"Mother! Don't call me 'Sweety'!" Gladion shouted, but Lusamine had already hung up. Heaving a sigh of frustration, Gladion looked up.

"Thanks, Hobbes." Waving his hand dismissively. The second Hobbes left, Professor Wicke appeared.

"Can't I just get a moment of peace?" Gladion groaned as Wick approached.

"Master Gladion! Surely you don't plan to sit through another hour of paper work? I'll take care of the rest!" Wicke said, shooing him away from the President seat. Gladion let her take charge, he wasn't doing much anyways.

He took Umbreon out for a stroll through the woods. They reached a small, bubbling brook when they saw a pokemon crash through a nearby foliage. A Talonflame crashed to the ground, it's wings thrashing furiously. Gladion leapt backwards, the golden marks on Umbreon glowed brightly, the dark-type pokemon bared it's teeth. 

"Wait!" Gladion held up a hand, signaling for Umbreon to stop. The Talonflame seemed to be tangled in some sort of net. Gladion moved closer to the pokemon, careful to stay well away from the sharp claws before quickly reaching out and wrenching the pokemon loose in one single, firm tug. The pokemon rose, beating it's wings and swirling the air around them. 

"Hey! What are ya doing with my pokemon?" A voice shouted, someone stepped out from behind a tree. Members of Team Skull emerged from the forest. 

"Well, well, well. If it isn't for our old enemy, Gladion. Long time no see!" The leader of Team Skull sneered, Umbreon curled it's lip and snarled.

"Real nice day, eh?" Guzma's sneer deepened.

"Could've been better." Gladion retorted, his hand closed around the pokeballs in his pocket. Guzma was no longer sneering. The others took this as a signal to toss their pokeballs.

Salandits, Gumshoos, Zubats, along with a couple of Garbadors appeared. 

"Zoroark, Lycanroc, Silvally let's go!" Gladion hurled out his pokeballs. Within the record of 6.8 seconds, the ground was littered with the bodies of pokemon, unable to battle.

"Is that all you got?" Gladion scoffed. Guzma snarled at him and threw out two pokeballs, Gladion predicted what they were before they appeared. 

"Golisopod, Liquidation!" The pokemon formed a sword of water. But before it could attack, Umbreon performed Iron Tail, shattering the sword.

"Scizor, X-Scissor!"

"Lycanroc, Stone Edge!" Lycanroc's blue stalagmites pummeled Scizor in the stomach, the pokemon was knocked several meters into the air before landing on the ground. Gladion heard Guzma curse under his breath.

"Golisopod, Poison Jet!" Gladion didn't bother giving Umbreon orders. The dark-type pokemon skidded sideways, leaped over Golisopod's head, and turned sharply as Golisopod tried to use Poison Jet. The pokemon stumbled around in confusion, Umbreon was too nimble. 

Suddenly, two voices called out from behind Gladion.

"Gardevoir, use Dazzling Gleam!" 

"Boltund, use Thunderbolt!" 

Published: 2020-07-28
Edited:
Words: