Past Lives (Isabella)

*Last week*

        I walked in through the front door of my house, shaking off the snow from my hair and wiping off the slush from my Ugg boots.  The sooner you finish your homework, the sooner you could text Gabe, I thought to myself.  Because I thought of texting Gabe as a form of reward after finishing homework, my grades couldn't have been better.

        While I was cozy underneath my blanket with my AP Biology textbook in my lap, I couldn't stop thinking about the way Gabe and I would cuddle.  With me lying on his chest and his arms around me.  I snuggled deeper within my comforter and blanket and decided to text him.  Since he was a senior, he had a short school schedule and was probably done his homework by now.

Me: Hey :)

Gabe: Hey

Me: What's up?

Gabe: Nothing

        Did I do something wrong.  Usually he'd reply with a "just thinking about you."  He didn't even include a smiley or winky face.  I decided to not seem to be clingy and waited for him to text back again.  I pretended to be doing the AP Bio assignment, until I heard the text message tone.

Gabe: Listen, I need to tell you something.

Me: What's up?  Want to skype?  Talk on the phone?

Gabe: No, it's fine.  I just think it's best if we end this.

Me: End what?

Gabe: Our relationship.  We can still be friends.

        I couldn't believe this was happening.  Just about a week ago it was Valentine's Day.  He shows up at my doorstep with a stuffed animal and flowers.  And now he wanted to break up?  What?  This didn't add up.  The feeling in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't handle.  The tears falling down my cheeks.  I quickly replied.

Me: Okay.

        I threw my phone across the room, not caring where it ended up.  I sunk down against the headboard of my daybed and rolled into a ball.  My textbook and papers scattered across the floor as I shifted into a laying position and covered myself in my sheets like the dormant stage of a butterfly, but never transforming.  The temperature dropped to 20 degrees outside, but it felt like dropping to the negatives knowing that we were done.