Chapter 2

The Monday went slower than usual.  I suffered through orchestra class taught by my teacher of almost 8 years, Mr. Allen.  He was a tall, yet slightly overweight man, who sweated more than the track runners of the Olympics.  When he was grouchy, like today, the saliva he spitted out of his mouth was more than the amount he sweated.  God, he could make a swimming pool by now, I thought.

        "I'm tired of everyone's complaining," he yelled, finishing his tirade.  "Measure 1.  Beginning," he said conducting with his hands.   Most of the time I tried to perfect my mistakes.  But not today.

        Next was AP U.S. History taught by Mr. Walt.  It was the easiest class anyone could take, until the AP exam came in April.  His method of teaching was videos from the History channel, worksheets, homework (with answers provided thanks to the textbook site), and a 100-point exam after a few chapters, which everyone always failed.  But everyone had an A in the class as long as you did the worksheets and looked at the cheat sheet for homework.  God knows how that happens.  He honestly thought he was a great teacher.

        Third period Honors Trig was not my favorite today like it usually was.  I sat in the back in my usual seat next to my friend Jessica.  I kept to myself today, not answering any of the questions Mr. Buser had for the class or cracking any jokes with Jessica.  The boy who always sat behind me, Henry, quickly clapped his hands to my ears.  This was the usual routine.  I'd turn around and see him acting natural like nothing happened or sometimes he'd laugh and wave.  Not today Henry, not today.

        The day really dragged on, and then my heart quickened its pace when I reached the door of my AP Bio class.  I was usually one of the last people to arrive before the bell rang, so no one was behind me.  I reached for the doorknob, then put my hand down again.  You can do this, I thought to myself.  You have to.  I finally opened the door and swallowed the lump in my throat.  Gabe's desk was literally right in front of the door, so I looked to the floor as I walked to my seat in the front of the classroom.  We had teams in that class, with 3 to 4 people in each.  The irritation between my teammates was extra annoying today.  Or maybe it just seemed that way due to my circumstances.  Alice and Carlie fought non-stop, all the time.  Carlie was a know-it-all and Alice tried but never succeeded in that class.  Bless her heart.  I voted Ms. Morrie as The Worst Team Maker.  Occasionally, I would glance back at how well Gabe and his team worked well together.  He was always all smiles and usually it warmed me.  But today it killed me and made me cold inside.  Why did I date a guy that I would see everyday in class, why?

        The rest of the day was a blur.  Everything led up to seeing Gabe in AP Bio.  I survived.  No you didn't, I thought to myself.  You were a miserable little fuck and you know it.  It tore you from the inside to see him.  I shook out of my feelings and made sure that I made it to the bus to go home.  I sat on the left in my usual seat, getting the view of the school parking lot.  And Gabe's car.  Tears rolled down my face, but I quickly wiped them away before anyone questioned.  I put my iPod on shuffle, letting the music lull me to sleep.

        I woke up as the bus pulled up to its last stop, the street where I got off.  I gathered my backpack and violin case.  One other girl got off the stop with me.  Her name was Lauren, a freshman that still listened to a CD player, wore jeans with butterflies on them, and a shirt that looked like her mother picked out for her from the child's section at Walmart with a coat to match.

        "Want to listen to my Jason Aldean CD?" she asked me with a smile full of braces.

        "No that's okay, thanks though," I said as I attempted a smile.

        "Not your music, huh?"

        "No, not really," I said shoving my hands in my peacoat pockets.

        "Okay, well see you tomorrow!" She took off running down the road towards her house, leaving me to walk home in silence.  A left turn, a right turn, and a walk up the hill.

        I finally made it home by about 3:30.  I didn't want to do anything but shed my clothes, put on my fleece pjs, and crawl into bed.  And that's exactly what I did.