Past Lives (Isabella)

*Summer 2009*

        I sat my duffel bag in front of the couch in our hotel room.  I knew that the living room would be my room for the next week while my parents occupied the 1 bedroom this suite had.

        "Wow, it's so pretty," my mom exclaimed as she rolled her suitcase through the door.  I walked over to the double doors and opened it to the balcony.  I let the breeze run through my long black hair and breathed in the salty waters from below.

        "You can take pictures now with your new phone and text them to friends since Hawaii is still the U.S.," my mom said coming out onto the balcony.

        "Which is what I'm doing right now," I said as I took a picture of the view, making sure to include the mountains and palm trees. I then added a caption with it in a pink font, "Maui baby!"  I sent it to my closest friends on my contact list, sliding my LG phone shut and taking in the view more with my own eyes.

        "Come on, let's get unpacked and get ready to explore," my mother said, going back inside.  I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my jean shorts.  I didn't recognize the number on the screen.

Unknown: Hey ;)

Me: Who is this?

Unknown: It's Matt.

Unknown: Matt Wool.

Me: Oh hey.

Me: How did you get this number?

Matt: Facebook.

        I didn't remember putting my number on Facebook.  I remained on the balcony, clueless of what to text back as text messages from my friends came flooding in about the picture I took.

Me: Okay.

Matt: Do you want to be my girlfriend?

Me: What?

Matt: You know, go out? Date me?

Me: We haven't even hung out before.

Matt: Let's start now then.

Me: I'm in Maui right now.

        "Izzy, come on get ready," my mom called from the inside of the suite.

        "I'm coming!"  I slid my phone shut and went inside.  What just happened?

************************************************************************************************************

                After a while of walking around the hotel and along the beach, we decided to have dinner at one of the restaurants nearby.  I hadn't looked at my phone since we were back in the suite.  My phone lit up underneath the table.

        Matt: So?  We can hang out when you get back.

        This was getting ridiculous.  I knew this guy since the beginning of high school.  A tall, redhead with braces, who played basketball and football, and had a reputation for dating anything that could walk.  And let's not forget his dandruff.  Gross.

        Although, I couldn't help but be flattered a little.  If I said yes, this would be my first boyfriend, ever.  I was the only one in my past friend groups that had not made out with a boy, let alone hold a boy's hand.  But if I said yes, would everyone find out about it?  I wasn't sure if I wanted to be one of those girls on his long list.

        Me: Okay.

        Matt: Okay?!

        Me: Yes, we can go out.

        Matt: Yes!  Well I better go, but ttyl, ily :)

        Ily? I love you?  What the fuck was I supposed to say to that?

        Me: Ily

        Great Isabella.  Just great.

************************************************************************************************************

        It was 3 a.m. when I heard my phone get a text.  The screen lit up beside my pillow, causing me to wake up and rub my eyes.  The 6 hour time change between Maryland and Hawaii was killing me.  I propped up my elbow to check the text message.

        Matt: Hey, I think it would be best with we just remain friends.

        Me: Okay.

        Matt: ttyl.

        I shut my phone and tried to go back to sleep.  Wow Matt, a new record.  Less than 24 hours, I thought to myself.  As sleep came over me, I still didn't know why I was feeling some sadness over this.