Chapter 3

Tuesday wasn't any better.  I couldn't wait until I graduated and went to college.  I could finally get out of this small town and not see the faces from the past.  People usually said "new school year, new me," but that wasn't the case here.  In the small town of Albany, MD, you stuck with the same people every year because you knew everyone.  The only new people would be the foreign exchange students or the ones that were crazy enough to move here.  I still had until June and my senior year to get by.  Oh joy.

************************************************************************************************************

        I was on my way to the most agonizing class of the day: AP Bio.  The hallway was almost empty and I could hear the clicking of my combat boots.  Upon passing the a janitor's closet on my way up the steps, the door to it almost swung open and hit me.  I stepped back and saw Kyle stumbling out.  He leaned against the wall and sat down on the bottom step.  I then saw Gavin, the jerk of the football team come out.

        "Until 1 o'clock, Spencer." he said laughing, cracking his knuckles.  I watched him walk past me and kneeled down to Kyle.

        "Oh my god, are you okay?"  I held out my hand for him to grab, but he just waved it off.

        "Don't worry about me," he mumbled.  "You're going to be late for class."

        "I don't care.  We need to get you to the nurse."  I pulled him up to his feet and we walked down the hall and turned into the staircase across from the main office.  The nurse's office was a bleak tan and grey room that was never remodeled like the rest of the school.

        "Oh my, what happened," the nurse said, coming up to us and examining Kyle's face.

        "I don't know.  I wasn't there.  Him and Gavin came out of the janitor's closet and I found him like this," I explained to her.  I heard the late bell ring.

        "Thank you dear for bringing him here.  Would you lead him to the bed in the other room while I get some cleaning supplies and bandages?  I'll also write you a late note," she said turning to the cabinet behind her.

        "Sure, thank you," I said, leading Kyle to the other room.  I sat him down on the white cot.

        "Why are you limping," I asked him.

        "Well, I'm still recovering from yesterday," he said, putting his hands to his face.

        "What happened-"

        "Okay, here we go," the nurse said walking in through the door.  "I got bandages, cleaning cloths, and your late note dear."

        "Thanks," I said, taking the slip of pink paper from her hand.

        "Thanks, Isabella," he said, while the nurse attended to his wounds.

        "No problem."  I slowly left the room and made my way to class, with millions of thoughts bouncing around in my head.

************************************************************************************************************

         AP Bio was same old, same old.  Carlie and Alice fought, non-stop.  I looked back at Gabe, torturing myself.  And turned in my assignment that I bullshitted last night.  My friend Amanda, who sat next to Gabe in class, waited for me outside the door when class was over to go to lunch.

        "Hey," she said.  "How are you?"

        "I'm okay," I said, holding my books to my chest.  The truth is, I wasn't okay.

        "You sure?" she asked.  Now I knew she was talking about my break up with Gabe.  Could she not bring it up?  The girl was a pro at prying into people's lives.  She even texted me last night when she realized Gabe and I weren't speaking to each other throughout yesterday.  I didn't want to tell anyone about it because just the thought of it released tears.  But she still wanted to talk about it.  She was the jaws of life and I was the damaged car with the unconscious passenger that wouldn't budge.

        "Yeah, I'm fine."

        "You heading to your locker before lunch," she asked when we arrived at the cafeteria.

        "No, it's fine.  I planned to buy lunch today," I lied.  I had half a Subway sandwich in my locker.  I just didn't want to run into Gabe since our lockers were close to each other.  I don't need to see him, I don't need to see him, I said to myself as I followed Amanda into the cafeteria.

        We both picked a table to place our books down before heading into the long lunch line.  I can't believe I picked mystery meat over my Subway sandwich.

        "Hey, you know that guy, Kyle Spencer?" I asked Amanda.

        "The guy who always wears skinny jeans and all black?"

        "Yeah I guess," I said, cocking my head to think if that's all he's described as.

        "What about him," she asked as the line began to move.

        "I saw him today.  Beaten up."

        "What?  When," she asked, getting a little excited about the scandals of this school.

        "Before AP Bio.  That's why I was late to class."

        "You saw it happen," she asked with wide eyes.

        "No.  It seemed he got beat up in the janitor's closet.  And Gavin did the beating," I said, finally entering in through the archway of the kitchen.

        "Whoa," she said, grabbing her tray.

        "Yeah, I brought him to the nurse's office."

        "Well, if Gavin did all the beating, maybe he isn't as badass as he looks," she said as she handed her money to the lunch lady.  "I thought those scars were from drug dealers.  He does look like a druggie."

        "Can't judge a book by his cover," I said as we sat down at our table.