Past Lives (Isabella)

*Fall 2007*

        I walked onto the dusty auditorium stage with my violin case in my hand and music underneath my arm.  It was after school, and I had practice for All-County Orchestra auditions, a performance that took place in the spring where all students participating in orchestra in our county would join together to perform in a symphony orchestra.  I've been in first violin and sat fairly close to the front of the stage, an excellent placement thanks to my auditions.  My parents couldn't be more proud.  But ever since last school year, I always had to practice extra hard in order to beat out the older students in 7th and 8th grade.  The audition became more and more tough.  Therefore, I needed to practice after school with some help from Mr. Allen.  I waited for him to show up as I tuned my violin and rosined my bow.  My friend, John, showed up on stage and sat next to me.

        "You stuck here today too, huh," he asked, setting down his things and unpacking his violin case.

        "Yup," I said with emphasis on the "p."

        "You'll end up getting first chair," he said as he got his music out and placed it on the stand in front of him.  "You always do.  I don't know why you're here."

        "Practice makes perfect," I said shrugging my shoulders.  Mr. Allen walked in through the back entrance of the school which led to the parking lot and entered into the auditorium.

        "Sorry I'm late guys," he said setting his laptop case down and rearranging music onto the conductor stand.  "Just you two showing up today?"

        "I think so," John said.

        John and I waited in the cool October air in the back parking lot, waiting for our parents to pick us up after practice.  We shared earbuds to listen to his music.  I wasn't a big fan of his favorite bands like My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy.  I was more of a Lady Gaga and Kesha fan.  This punk and dark music was for the people who have been through hell.  I've been through bad times in my life, but everyone went through bad times.  My life wasn't that depressing.

        "Who's picking you up," I asked him.

        "My dad, as always," he said looking at his phone to check the time.

        "I've never met your mom before," I said looking at him.

        "I live with my dad.  My parents are divorced," he said, turning to face me.

        "Oh, I'm sorry.  I didn't know."  I looked down at my folded hands in my lap.  I honestly didn't know his parents weren't together.  We never really hung out outside of school because we didn't have the same group of friends.  Therefore, we never really talked about these things before.

        "It's okay," he said in reassurance.  "My mom comes to visit from Pennsylvania every once in a while."

        "That's good," I said smiling at him.  I felt like such a spoiled brat.  Sometimes I didn't appreciate the loving and functional family I had.  And here was a boy who barely saw his mother.  Although my parents and I had our differences, I don't know how I'd deal with not having my parents around together.