Chapter 6

Apparently "until then" to Kyle meant the next day.  Not that I was complaining.  I just assumed that things wouldn't be so different so soon.  I watched him as he grabbed his books for first period.  It was the first time in a while that I didn't show up for class so early and the first time Kyle and I had more things to talk about other than how our day was going.

        "Twat," he said, looking up to the ceiling and shutting his locker door.

        "Excuse me," I asked, laughing and putting my hand to the chest.

        "Not you, the teacher.  I forgot to do Mrs. Twat's assignment that was due today for second period."

        "Oh I see," I said laughing out loud.  "Sometimes I forget that's actually her name.  It's extremely unfortunate."

        "And wrong," he pointed out.  "Considering the term 'twat' means female genitals and she's anything but feminine-looking."  I laughed at how I thought of the same thing when I first met her in 8th grade to get  our summer homework assignment for 9th grade Honors Government.  Her clothes were twice the size of her large figure.  Her hairstyle looked like the short version of the motorcycle-gang-haircut.  And her voice was probably deeper than more than half of the male teachers in this school.

        "Funny how I always thought the same thing," I said taking the stairs all the way down to the auditorium for orchestra.

        "Oh, don't you have AP Literature," I asked him, thinking that he should have taken the other set of stairs that led to the English wing.

        "I thought I'd walk with you to first period," he said following me down the other set of stairs that finally led to the lowest level of the school.  "Plus, I can take the stairs from here which lead me all the way to class."  We reached the door to the backstage of the auditorium stage and he kindly opened the door for me.

        "Thanks," I said as I walked underneath his arm to enter the stage area.

        "No problem," he said still holding the door open and leaning against it, "I'll see you possibly after 4th period?"

        "Yeah, sounds good," I said with a thumbs up before walking up the stairs to the stage.

        "Good," he said with his signature smile, letting the door close.

        Fourth period couldn't end fast enough.  I kept myself busy as I asked for more tasks to do for Mrs. Wells as her student aid.  She was an easy-going teacher for someone who taught AP Literature.  Usually I just sat in her room doing homework while her yearbook class was going on since she never really asked a lot from me.  But the slow movement of the clock was agonizing and I needed something to do.  I went down to the library to use the copy machine for Mrs. Wells, when I heard a familiar voice around the corner.  I stopped and peeked my head into the next hallway.  It was Gabe and Josh from the soccer team who was one of Gabe's friends.  They were both standing in front of Gabe's locker.

        "Do you have anymore" Josh asked.

        "Nah, man," he said shoving things in his locker and closing it.  "I'll have to get more tomorrow."

        "You're running me dry here."

        "I know, man," he said.  "Tomorrow, I promise."  They both then walked away from each other.  What was that about?

************************************************************************************************************

         I hurried to my locker after 4th period where Kyle could find me.  While switching my books for AP Bio, I also took a glance at the small magnetic mirror I had on the door of my locker.