Chapter 10

I had a typical weekend with my parents.  Saturday, my parents took me to a town an hour away to look at my first car my dad found online.  I didn't even have my permit yet, so it felt awkward sitting in the driver's seat and turning the key.  I could totally see myself driving it.  My parents ended up buying the used red Mini Cooper for me and we spent the rest of the day in town.  My car would be driven to my home in a week's time.

        Sunday, I helped my mother clean the house as always.  Afterwards, I laid in bed listening to My Chemical Romance, thinking of Kyle walking through my door and joining me.

        I couldn't wait to see Kyle today at school.  Ever since Friday night, I was dreading the weekend until I could see him again.  The late bell would ring in just a few minutes and he was nowhere to be seen.  I decided to go up the stairs to his locker.  When I arrived there, all I saw was a couple making out against his locker.  I looked around to make sure he wasn't heading downstairs towards my locker.  But still no sight of him.  Where was this boy?

        The day went by slowly once again.  Without Kyle around, there was nothing to look foward to.  I rushed out the door once the final bell of the day rang.  I passed by the buses towards the parking lot.  His familiar Mustang was nowhere to be seen.  I hurried to my bus before it left without me.  It felt like forever since I sat in the ugly green pleather seats of the bus.  I took a seat and looked out the window to the parking lot in case if Kyle was just running late.  But the buses started to pull away.

        I arrived home and worked on my homework, still thinking about him.  I hope he's not sick , I thought.  I just didn't think I could survive a day without someone like him to keep me company during school.  We've only been hanging out for a week and already it seemed like we knew more about each other than anyone.  Although, I was still questioning whether I actually did know him.  There were still so many missing puzzle pieces.

        After dinner, my father told me to take the garbage out to the curb for it to be picked up the next morning.  I obeyed and saw an opportunity.  After taking the garbage out I walked down the hill and crossed the parking lot of the local sportsmen club.  I didn't know exactly which house was his, but I knew the general direction after seeing his car disappear down this path from my window.  I walked all the way down the street to find his Mustang in the driveway of the last house, with a Weeping Willow blowing in the wind and draping its vines across its cozy setting.  Although the darkness gave it an ominous vibe.  I slowly walked up the sidewalk to the steps and thought about turning around to go back home.  I was startled when a girl suddenly pulled back the curtains to one of the windows.  She saw my expression and laughed.  I saw her disappear and I heard the locks on the door unlock.  The girl, short in stature with evidence of down syndrome, smiled, when the door swung open.

        "Who are you," she asked me.

        "I'm Isabella, is Kyle here?"

        "Addie, who's at the door," a voice from the kitchen said.  She appeared from the kitchen in an apron, heels, and a floral print dress.  She looked like a typical housewife from the 50s, expecting her husband to be back from work and enjoy the dinner she prepared.  She was the same woman I saw barge out of the main office at school with Kyle.  I now assumed that the woman was his mother.

        "I don't know," Addie said.

        "Hello, can I help you," she asked coming up to the door and slightly pushing Addie out of the way.  Addie got the hint and left us and Kyle's mother to talk.  "Sorry if my daughter scared or insulted you in any way.  She tends to do that.  I'm Constance."

        "No," I said shaking my head.  "She was fine.  I'm Isabella.  I actually came to talk to Kyle."

        "I'm sorry but he is unavailble at the moment."  I then heard a childish shriek.

        "Michael calm down," she yelled behind her towards the hallway.  She turned back towards me with a smile, running her hand up against her blonde curls in her hair.  "Kids, they make me want to pull my hair out.  Don't have them any time soon."  I kindly laughed.

        "I'm sorry, but you really would have to come back another time," she said starting to close the door.

        "Okay," I said before she closed the door and locked it.  I took a step back in confusion.  That was a strange encounter with the Spencer family.  Something I wasn't expecting.