Past Lives (Kyle)

* Jupiter, Florida 1952*

        We were sitting down in the sand on the beach.  She looked so perfect in the moonlight, with her mouth on my cigarette.  She took a drag and exhaled.  It was great to get out of the chaos that has been happening at the freak show lately, with Meep dying and the confession of my mother's sickness.  It was nice to be at a place where normal people went.  More people were accepting of the freaks, after we caught the killer clown, but some were still prejudice.  Which is why we snuck out at night.

        "What are you thinking about," Esmerelda asked, laying down in the sand and looking at the stars above.

        "Just how to escape," I said, laying down beside her.  She handed me back my cigarette and I took a drag, letting the warmth fill my lungs.

        "Me too."

        "Yeah?"

        "Yeah.  With all this shit happening, I feel like that's the only thing to do."  I looked at her, to see that she shifted onto her side and was looking deep into my eyes.

        "As in, you'd run away with me?"

        "Of course."

        We rode back on my motorcycle to the freak show site before city curfew.  I opened the door to my trailer, watching her enter.  I closed the door and found the silhouette of her body from the open blinds that let in the moonlight.  She placed my lobster-claw hands on her hips and placed her arms around my neck.

"Tomorrow," I asked her as our faces got closer.  She nodded.

"Tomorrow," she said before placing her lips on mine.