Chapter 1: Ruby Rose

Legends. Stories scattered through time. Mankind has grown quite fond of recounting the exploits of heroes and villains, forgetting so easily that we are remnants, byproducts, of a forgotten past. Man, born from dust, was strong, wise, and resourceful. But he was born into an unforgiving world. An inevitable darkness, creatures of destruction. The creatures of Grimm set their sights on man and all of his creations. These forces clashed and it seemed the darkness was intent on returning man's brief existence back to the void. However, even the smallest spark of hope is enough to ignite change, and in time man's passion, resourcefulness, and ingenuity led them to the tools that would help even the odds.

This power was appropriately named..."Dust". Nature's wrath in hand, man lit their way through the darkness and in the shadow's absence, came strength, civilization, and most importantly, life. But even the most brilliant lights eventually flicker and die.

In Vale, around 8:00 PM, a group of thugs and their little group leader, Roman  Tortchwick, were walking through the streets, people stepping out of the way out of pure fear.

And when they are gone, darkness will return. So you may prepare your guardians, build your monuments to a so-called free world, but take heed, there will be no victory in strength.

The group of thugs were walking up to a Dust shop known as "From Dust Till Dawn". Once in the store, the thugs looked around, not noticing yet in the back a girl in a red cloak reading a weapons magazine.

But perhaps victory is in the simpler things that you've long forgotten. Things that reuire a smaller, more honest soul.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Dust shop that is open this late?" Roman asked, after removing his cigar and one of the thugs held a weapon out,aiming at the shop owner's head

"P-Please, just take my Lien and leave." The shop owner pleaded

"Shhh, we're not here for your money." Roman said before turning to one of the goons and saying, "Grab the Dust."

One of the goons set down a box, opening it and a few f the other goons pulled out the extraction tubes from it and walked over to the powderized Dust storage systems on the east wall of the store. They started extracting all the Dust that the storage tubes had in them.

"Crystals." Another goon said as he put a Dust crystal storage box on the counter. "Burn. Uncut."

The shopkeeper nodded and started moving the Dust crystals from the counter display and into the box. This is when one of the goons extracting Dust from the storage systems on the west wall of the store spotted the girl in the red cloak.

The goon un-seathed his sword and pointed it at her as he said, "Alright, kid, hand where I can see 'em."

He got confused when she didn't respond as he stepped closer.

"Hey, I said hands in the air!" the goon repeated. "You got a death wish or something?"

When he finally got her attention, the girl looked at him as her hood fell off revealing she had on headphones. Readers of this book would know this girl as none other than Ruby Rose.

"Huh??" Ruby said in confusion, not hearing the goon

The goon gestured to the headphones and she took them off and asked, "Yes?"

"I said, put your hands in the air, now!" the goon demanded

"Are you...." Ruby starts. "...robbing me?"

"Yes!!" the goon snapped

"Oh...." Ruby said to herself quietly

Next thing that Roman knew, the goon was sent flying and crashed through a window.