Chapter 12

"You've turned a child's item into something that fuels your problem," Sam told me. Groaning I continued to drink vodka out of my red curly straw while lying on the bar top. We've been staying in the Avengers Compound the tower had only been built shortly before I came to live there. Before it was built everyone stayed here, so now I lived here too along with Steve, Bucky, Sam, and Wanda. Clint went back to his house right after the fight was over. I've been chugging lots of alcohol for the past two days, Tony's funeral was tomorrow so I was going to quit drinking soon but for now, I was going to drink my heart out. Steve walked into the room and looked at me, "Lenny, what are doing?"
"Besides ruining my liver? Drinking my feelings, it's very effective."
"At least put on some fresh clothes."
I'd been wearing the same suit from the fight, I sew my wounds up through the rips they had created. Sarcastically I said, "Okay, let me go through the rubble of the fallen tower."
"We have spare clothes."
"Pretty sure you're going to need a spare life if you don't leave me alone."
"Whatever."
Steve was fed up with my shit, the only person who'd honestly not been annoying as fuck was Bucky. All he did was ask me if I was ok or if I was hungry and stuff like that, everyone else was just being assholes except for Maximoff. Wanda wasn't being an asshole since she'd mostly kept to herself in her room. Sam and Steve though were on my ass about everything. The woman who was like a mother to me just died and then I had to fucking fight a giant ass raisin, so, understandably, I'm pissed at the world. Sighing I spit my straw out and sat up, swinging my legs to the side I now was sat onto the bar side normally. Mashing my face in my hands I mentally slapped myself for my behavior, "What's wrong with me? I'm turning into some no-good alcoholic, and it takes like a whole goddamn liquor store to even give me a little buzz." Wincing as I stood I walked into the living room where the three guys were setting. Clapping my hands I waited for them to look at me. Once all three of them did I said, "I'm not here to bitch, I'm here to apologize. Guys, I'm sorry that I've been being a complete asshole."
"Apology excepted."
Now I made my way towards my room, it was across from Bucky's and beside Wanda's. Using my foot I opened up the door slowly to reveal my bloody footprints and rags. Starting by throwing the rags in the hamper I cleaned the filthy place. Wiping the footprints up with a wet towel was the last I'd be doing to clean my room for now. Going in the bathroom I splashed my face with cold water and started wiping some of the blood off my hands. Next, to make myself a little more presentable I unwrapped my blood-soaked bandages and replaced them with fresh ones. Also, I brushed my teeth to get rid of the alcohol smell. My hair was pretty badly matted up with tangles and blood holding it together. Damn, no wonder everyone was bitching at me. The hair was going to take to long so put it into a messy awful looking bun and put a bandana on over it. Since my face was cut up pretty bad I put on light makeup and grabbed the keys to my car. Luckily my car hadn't been ruined since I had parked it a decent distance from the tower and fighting. Sneaking out the back I hopped into my black Camaro.

I wasn't in the mood to go shopping for long so I just drove to a little factory connection

I wasn't in the mood to go shopping for long so I just drove to a little factory connection. Entering the store I first went over to the leather jackets, I ended up choosing five because leather is an addiction. While I was grabbing some jeans a little girl walked over and tugged on my sleeve. A curious look across her face she asked me, "Why are you dressed like that?" Her mother rushed over quickly and started apologizing but I cut her off, "No no, it's fine really. Do you really wanna know?" When the little girl nodded I continued, "I'm an Avenger, my superhero name's the Red Gool. All my other clothes got messed up when I was fighting a bad guy, so I came here to get some more." The mother gave me a look like I was crazy so I said, "Really, wanna see I picture of me with some of the other Avengers?"
"Sure!"
Pulling my phone out of my pocket I went to the gallery and found a picture with Nat, Steve, and I. Turning the phone around I showed it to the girl, "You've probably not heard much about me since I've only been an Avenger for a day or two, but I've known the Avengers since I was a kid."
Now both the mother and child looked kindly excited, the girl giggled, "Why does Captain America look so funny?"
"He always looks funny to me but it's probably because he didn't know I was taking a picture."
"Can I take a picture with you?"
"Sure, but first I need to know your names. We're friends now so you can call me Lenny."
"I'm Lucy."
"I'm Debra but you can call me Deb."
"Okay then let's take that picture." Deb pulled out a phone and the three of us started making silly faces while taking pictures. When we're finished I said, "I need to finish getting some clothes then I need to get my hair done. After that, if y'all want we can go to lunch or something later."
"How are you going to your hair?"
"I'm not sure yet."
"Can me and Mommy come with you to help you pick?"
"If your Mommy doesn't care then neither do I."
Lucy gave Debra pleading eyes until she agreed. Finishing up my clothes shopping I paid with my credit card. We then walked to a local hair salon after I changed into some fresh clothes. In the end, Lucy and Deb decided that I would look best with brown hair, so I had the hairdresser dye it brown and straighten it. Now we were at a small cafe eating burgers and fries. Lucy was slurping up here milkshake happily while I talked to Deb. "So, what's it like being an Avenger?"
"Eh, it depends entirely on who I'm  hanging out with."
"Who do you usually hang out?"
"Used to it was Steve, Clint, and Nat but now Nat's gone and Clint went back home. Steve's still around but I've not been the nicest person these couple of days."
She checked her watch and then frowned, "Lucy and I need to get going."
"Mommyyyyyyyyy, please can we stay a little longer?"
"It's all right I need to get back to before Steve and Sam find out I'm gone. I'll pay for all this."
"No please I can pay for our part."
"I'll pay, I've got nothing better to do."
"Well...okay then."
Paying the waitress I put my sunglasses on and grabbed my coffee to bring with me. Walking back to our cars we bid each other farewell after exchanging phone numbers. Maybe I am an Avenger but that doesn't mean I can't befriend other normal people. Jumping in my Camaro I raced back to the compound, when I finally arrived I parked the car and took a deep breath. Time to put up the emotional mask that I'd been perfecting since I was eight. Grabbing all the clothes I'd bought and my ripped suit I went in through the back just like I'd left. Silently I lurked to my room hoping to not be noticed by anyone. Entering my room I put all my stuff away before flopping on my bed bored out of my mind. If Nat was here we would probably be teasing Steve about being so old, god I miss her. Shit, I sure do know how to depress myself. Rolling over on my stomach I grabbed the remote and switched on the T.V., and began browsing through the channels. Choosing some cop show called Rookie Blue I started watching the first episode.

{Three hours later}

There was a soft knock on my door so without looking up from the T.V. I shouted, "Come in!"
I heard two sets of footsteps enter my room and then Steve's confused voice, "What are you doing?"
"Watching T.V."
"Do you realize the T.V. is upside down?"
"I'm the one who made it that way, now run along. This episode is getting good."
"When did you dye your hair?"
"Earlier, some of my new friends chose the color."
"Didn't realize you left the compound."
"If you don't leave me alone I swear I'll beat you up again, and you know I can do it."
"Fine fine, we're leaving."
I'm not sure who else was in here since I was hanging upside down from a vent, watching the T.V. which I'd moved so it was upside down to. This show is awesome it's my new favorite. At least I would have something to do tonight since I can never sleep. Clicking the show off for a minute I decided to explore the compounds vents. They weren't as big as the towers were but they'd do. When I was over the living room I peeked through the vents and saw Sam and Steve talking,mid-sentence though Steve sneezed loud. I yelled through the vent, "God bless, America!" Sam burst out laughing as I removed the vent cover, and Steve just silently glared at me before saying, "You know you're immature."
"Well I am only like twenty I think, quit counting."
"So I can tell you must be feeling somewhat better since you're teasing Steve."
"Ahh, I could be dying and I'd still tease Steve. It's not hard or anything he is like a zillion years old. I'm going to leave now and go to 'sleep' so goodnight."
"Night."
Pulling myself back into the vent I pulled out my phone and a set of headphones. Hitting my playlist the song 'Shut Up and Dance' came on, so even though I don't want to admit it I was dancing. While I was dancing I wasn't paying attention and didn't see the upcoming vent cover...so I fell through it. Hitting the ground with a hard thud in front of my room I watched as Bucky and Wanda came out of their rooms confused and worried. Looking at their facial expressions I burst out into a fit of laughter. Wanda laughed at me quietly before going back in her room, I started wheezing from laughter and tears streamed down my face. Wiping some of the tears off my face I sat up and felt a burning sensation on my stomach. Lifting my shirt slightly to see my bandages I saw blood seeping through them, "Goddamn me I busted my stitches." I burst out into laughter again, what's wrong with me? When I had controlled myself I a little Bucky helped me up, telling him goodnight I went into my room. After barely sewing my wounds back together I burst out laughing again, then getting in bed I surprisingly fell asleep.

A/N

Lenny falling out of the vents probably was unnecessary but it was hilarious. Also thanks for the reads, I wanted to tell you that this book is coming to an end soon. There'll probably be one or two more chapters, maybe three. For those interested, this will become a series the sequel is already being written! Bye guys👋