1

Everyone knows the short and simple phrase, "nothing lasts forever." There is, of course, a large dose of reality in this saying, but it can never truly prepare someone for the end of an era. Especially a memorable one. One that was triumphant. One that formed incomparable bonds. One that brought upon so much pain. Just as tragically, those three little words do not let even the sharpest individuals anticipate how things will crumble.

That's how it went for the Avengers. Not a single one of them was ready that would follow soon after the tragedy involving Wanda Maximoff in Lagos. They were not on guard when Secretary Ross informed them about the Sokovia Accords and how 117 countries were already on board. It led to their divide, very much led by two big personalities: Steve Rogers and Tony Stark. The debate over whether or not the Avengers need boundaries or should have the freedom to act as a private organization arose.

The tension worsened after the bombing of Vienna International Center during the ratification of the Accords, the same day as the untimely death of King T'Chaka of Wakanda. James Buchanan Barnes, also known as the Winter Soldier, was the main suspect, leading to his arrest but was later broken out by Rogers.

Stark and Natasha Romanoff were sent to take Sam Wilson, Rogers, and Barnes. Maximoff was confined at the Compound with the Vision but later left with Clint Barton, who recruited a Californian named Scott Lang, because "Cap needs their help." Stark found a new recruit in Queens, James "Rhodey" Rhodes is Tony's best friend, and Vision was on their side as well. T'Challa was involved solely for revenge on Barnes.

And that is what set the stage for the events to come. Former teammates, allies, and most importantly, friends in a stare down in the middle of an airport in Leipzig. The process was slow, but all that would happen later that day would truly mark the end of an era.

Those siding with Rogers were trying to get to the Quinjet located in the airport while everyone on Stark's side needed to arrest them. Trucks growing giant, cars being thrown around like nothing, webs shot out of nowhere, destruction everywhere. Natasha managed to slip away from the violence, appalled at what she saw. Her family was crumbling at the seams.

In a quick turn of events, Lang caused a diversion and grew unnaturally large. War Machine shot at the building so that the ruins would fall and block Rogers and Barnes from accessing the jet before turning his attention back to Lang. Maximoff, however, held them up, allowing the super soldiers to pass, only to be met with a certain ex-assassin. 

"You're not going to stop."

"You know I can't."

Natasha took note of the silent figure behind the two super-soldiers and raised her arm to shoot her Widow's Bites.

"I'm gonna regret this."

She shot one towards Steve, who instinctively hit it with his shield. T'Challa lunged forward and Natasha sprinted towards Bucky. It was a toe-to-toe fight, a stalemate. Neither side was able to gain an upper hand. That was until Maximoff entered the arena. She lifted the Black Panther and Black Widow and threw them towards a wall, holding them there. Rogers gave her a curt nod, before leading his longtime best friend onto the jet and starting it.

Stark ran towards Spider-Man, who after helping bring Lang back to a normal size, was not getting back up. His concern was clear, cautiously approaching the young hero. He lifted his mask a bit, showing the young face of Peter Parker, whom Tony had met at his Queens apartment not long ago. 

"Stay down. You're done. You did good kid," Tony both complimented and commanded. 

"No, I'm good, I can still help," Peter resisted, struggling to get back up.