Chapter Four

This was the first time in months that Emilie joined them for supper. She had resumed her career, taking roles from various dramas and series and modeled for the designs her husband had created. To those who didn't know, his designs still appeared revolutionary. But even Adrien, who had no great eye like Marinette or his father when it came to fashion, knew that he had lost his touch more and more.

   "So Adrien. How are your photoshoot sessions?"

   Adrien looked up, surprised that someone had broken the deafening silence.

   "Umm. I was a little late because my schedule wasn't entirely organized," he said, looking back down on his food.

   "But don't worry, Mrs. Agreste. We didn't miss too much," said Marinette with a smile.

   "Oh thank goodness. I didn't make a mistake in letting you stay," she laughed, although none of them were amused.

   "Gabriel you should really get a new assistant—"

   "No," all of them said in unison without thinking.

   Gabriel cleared his throat and coerced himself to look at his wife. "I believe it is unnecessary, Emilie," he looked at Adrien who urged him silently to go on. "Adrien wants to become independent and he believes that he can be better in managing his tight schedules himself."

   "Oh that's good then. How about you?"

   "I've been managing just fine."

   Her rich laughter filled the room once more. "I don't know why we even got you an assistant when you could all manage just fine now that you're used to it."

   "We needed her," Gabriel said as she stood.

   "Of course you did," she said half-heartedly, not listening as she left the table.

   Everyone was back in sitting in silence again as they ate their food. Marinette couldn't help the glances she would throw towards Adrien, studying his expression. He had been smiling like he normally did but she knew it was fake. Even he knew it in himself that he had a hard time channeling his emotions because of what was happening.

   Marinette sat on her and Adrien's bed— the latter already asleep— as she held her laptop, talking to her parents and some of her friends through zoom.

   "How is Adrien handling it dear?" Sabine asked, worry writ on her face.

   "On the outside, he appears as if nothing happened. His smile is still the same as it was the first time I met him," she said, glancing at him.

   "But he has been faking it, hasn't he?" Tom gave her a knowing look.

   "Yes. I watch him cry most nights and wake up like he didn't mourn at all. He wants to tell everyone that he's fine. But," she sighed. "All of us here in the mansion aren't really over what had happened. Apart from Adrien's mother, apparently."

   "Speaking of parents, what ever happened to Mr. Agreste?" Nino asked.

   "Has she been making every single day difficult for you guys?" Chloe added.

   "Well, 'making it difficult' is a strong term to describe our situation. As for Mr. Agreste... he... He isn't handling everything just fine. Although to some he might appear as the usual, strict-temperament, fashion mogul that he is, he's actually sadder than Adrien. He tries to act civil with the missus the best way he could. She hasn't been in the house for as long as I could remember. I doubt they have even slept in the same bed yet," she explained.