Twenty-three

Gabriel felt his insides getting stuffed with another mixture of emotions as he held the letter close to his chest. He reached for Nathalie's hand pressed it to his lips. He wasn't sure what his words would do... But it just felt necessary in a time like this.

"Nathalie," he spoke. "I never thought of you as some back-up plan. I loved you and it just took me some time to realize that. I didn't love you because Emilie said so. I loved you because I loved you. Period. You are a wonderful person. A person like me doesn't deserve you. No one does. However, you deserve everything. I'm letting Emilie go. For your future and mine. And... If ever you leave me, I want to be able to see you walk out the door. Breathing. Alive. Healthy. And strong. I don't want you to leave in circumstances much akin to your current state now. I'll accept if you don't love me after knowing what I did. But know that I don't ever regret loving you.

Just... please. For the first time, I'll pray. Pray for you to..." He sobbed. "I'll pray for you to wake up. I'll take your body to Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris myself. Just to prove to Him that I'm willing to repent on my sins. My misdeeds. I... surrender to His will...

Just please... Wake up."

It was already morning once more yet no one was awake. Audrey held Chloe close while she leaned her head on Nadja's. Adrien and Marinette slept on the floor next to Alya and Nino while Gorilla was at the foot of the bed, leaning back as he slept while sitting. And Gabriel was still kneeling on the floor, his head planted on the bed. Evidently, he was the first to get up. His hand searched for Nathalie's and flinched when he felt the emptiness. He shot up in alarm when he found that her body wasn't there. He stood, frantically scanning the room and was about to call her name when he heard the familiar wheels of the tray outside. When the door opened, fresh tears made themselves known again in his eyes.

There stood Nathalie, bracing the handle of the tray she was about to wheel in. She stopped at the entrance. Her hair was back in its immaculate bun and she had worn her regular uniform. Her eyes were void emotion for a moment until their gazes met. She froze, her cheeks reddening. Gabriel finally found the courage to walk. She continued wheeling the tray in and went around it to meet Gabriel halfway.

She looked down towards her feet, unable to meet his gaze. Gabriel's hand quivered as he reached out for her chin to bring her eyes to meet his own.

"Nathalie..." He whispered as he caressed her face, still stuck in disbelief, trying to make sure if Nathalie was really up from her state.

"Did you mean everything?"

"Of course I did! I'm so sorry for what you had to go through because of me," He exclaimed.

Little did they know, the rest of the occupants had already awaken due to the commotion. Marinette had put her parents on videocall. Tears were shed as happiness circulated around them.

"The past is... what I'm willing to let go, Gabriel. Were you really willing to take me to the cathedral?" Tears made its way down Nathalie's cheeks as he pressed a kiss on her lips.

When Gabriel pulled away, he spoke.

"I'm willing to take you there, my love. Just give me the answer I need," he bent down on one knee earning shocked gasps from everyone who watched.

Nathalie's breath hitched as Gabriel pulled out a ring, her mouth hanging in whatever emotion was excitedly running around her body.

"I've designed this ring the moment I made sure that I wanted to have you forever in my life. I want to be connected with you spiritually and by heart. Nathalie... You've led me out of the dark even though I've led you to your own demise. What I feel for you is nothing but real. I want to spoil you with all the love you deserve. You're a queen. You're my queen. Now, if you would allow it... Nathalie Sancoeur, will you let me be your king?"

Nathalie clasped her hand over her mouth as she looked at him in disbelief. She scanned the room and her eyes landed on the people who were with them. Their tears glistened under the morning light. Nathalie's lips quivered as she tried to process the events that greeted her by surprise. She stuttered, an overexcited smile playing on her lips as more tears fell down her cheeks.

"A-are you sure you want to?" She staggered out earning a small laugh from them.

"No. I can't be your king," she looked at him, confused. "I'll be your knight this time. But, without the armor. I've made myself a warrior manifested in the body of one Gabriel Agreste."

She slid her fingers under her glasses to wipe away tears that couldn't stop falling.

"Well, what's your answer!" Nadja exclaimed earning a hearty laugh.

"Well I better be the bridesmaid if you agree!" quipped Marinette.

Nathalie pressed her hand on her heart and smiled down at him. "I've said yes to everything you've asked of me before, haven't I?

So why would I say no to something special like this?"

Gabriel smiled as more tears fell while the rest of them screamed and howled in great joy. Seriously? Is crying his major reaction to certain things nowadays? No one could blame him though. And due to his excitement, he hasn't realized that he had placed the band on her middle finger instead of the one next to it.

"O-oh my god, clumsy me," he was about to take it off to transfer it when Nathalie stopped him.

"I think I'll like it better there. It makes me feel special."

"That's because you are," he got up and placed a passionate kiss on her lips.

Everyone who had witnessed their struggles, Audrey especially along with Nadja, helped them sort out their social status. They had made it appear that Emilie had been found in Tibet, lifeless after a treacherous journey and was left there for years. The letter that Emilie wrote for Gabriel and Nathalie was revised. Thankfully, Marinette was excellent in forgery. They released it to the public how she had ended up in that situation and decided to just let nature do whatever it wanted with her. The cremation process was kept secret so as not to trigger suspicion. Tears were shed and lives were changed. Who knew that such indecision and confusion would lead to a better future. That is if, there was one Nathalie Sancoeur in one's life. Acting like the moon, keeping the tides in check and reflects light in the sky of one's darkest nights.

Indecision is hurtful, it's true. But people can be easily misguided, led astray by unfamiliar forces. A person's weakness is often the heart. But sometimes, that isn't too bad. The mind and heart do make a perfect team. No need to choose which one of them you should follow. Assess each situation with your mind, and confirm with your heart.

The Agrestes had been through a lot together. If people only knew, they'd actually find out that their story is as miraculous as life itself.

AN: You made it to the end of my story! Were you an Instagram follower of mine that knew that I was making this story within 2 and a half months just to finish in time for my Bday?

If so, you made me happy by sticking with me! I love you!

Peanut Butter out🤭