Chapter Ten

"I beg your pardon?"

   "U-uh, nothing. I wanted to... tell you that you'll be picking up Adrien's girlfriend on the way to school."

   Her eyes widened and her mouth hung in shock. "Girlfriend, sir?" he nodded, making her look at him in disbelief.

   "Miss Marinette Dupain-Cheng," he smiled at her.

   "I-I see. Of course... sir. Now, if there isn't anything else, I'll be leaving."

   "Okay. Thank you, Nathalie."

   "My pleasure sir."

   "Master, you're hurting yourself and Miss Nathalie when you keep holding on to your fears," Nooroo informed him telepathically. Apparently he had eavesdropped on their conversation earlier.

   Gabriel exhaled as he leaned back on his office chair, ignoring the kwami's admonishing. He grabbed the sketchbook on his desk and reviewed some of his unfinished croquis. He flipped through the pages, suddenly admiring how incredible the texture of each leaf page was. He remembered getting this item for his birthday. He didn't really care about the event because he was caught up in work and being Hawkmoth to even celebrate.

   He had received tons of gifts from his company, his team of designers, supporters, investors, fellow fashion moguls including Audrey and the rest of the Bourgeois family and Adrien. He remembered his son giving him a beautiful embroidery which was a realistic scenery of a beautiful butterfly garden he had commissioned from Marinette. He adored that one and even displayed it in one of the hallways, proudly showing it off to any passerby. The rest of the gifts had been the usual exclusive suits and house decors that came from different brands he loved as well. He just basically ignored them and often took some out for him to use as well as Adrien.

   But what truly caught his attention was the delicately wrapped present that Nathalie relayed to him. He never knew who had given it but it was the only thing that he was actually interested in. Nathalie only said that the person who gifted him that didn't want to give their name but told him that it came from a close friend. Which was silly, to be honest. And mysterious.

   He only chose to draw there when he felt like the design was extra special. All of the ones he made there became a huge hit and caught the affection of the crowd. He treasured each page and never ripped one out.

   He suddenly flipped to the back, still admiring the quality of the thick cover. His lips quirked up in a smile as he flipped it back and forth. Curiosity hit him as he flipped to the inner part of the back cover once more. Instead of the plain white surface, it was purple. He noticed it tons of times in the past but never really thought anything of it. He grimaced as he found a loose end at one edge. He was about to attempt to glue it back neatly when he noticed that the purple paper was easy to take off of its spot. His eyes widened upon realizing it was a handwritten letter once he flipped the paper over.

   He put the sketchbook down and read it.

Dearest Mr. Agreste,

   Happy birthday to you, sir! I know you've received far more expensive gifts than this but I felt like a high-quality sketchbook would fit a high-quality designer like you. I've admired the things you've created sir and it inspires to be a better personal assistant to you and a better caretaker to your son and your household. I know this might sound rather unprofessional, but, you've given a family to someone like me. I don't have the best social status or a decent family background but exerting my efforts in this job made me re-think life in a whole new perspective. I felt like I finally have a purpose apart from dealing with the hardships on my own. I have you to thank for all of this sir. And with the absence of Miss Emilie who had welcomed me as well with a magnanimous heart, I know you have been deeply saddened. But please remember that we are here for you always sir. Especially your son and even... me, I suppose.