Liability

prompt- Person A (reader) isn't the smartest person in the world and their friends are constantly poking fun at them and making them feel bad for it, Person B (Jacob) often stands up for A until they eventually snap and join in on the teasing.

Word Count: 2.5k

Warnings: Some angst, Jacob makes his sister sad, kinda bullying,  

A/N: This is a drabble turned one-shot, I got too into it. But I enjoyed writing it, I hope you all enjoy it!

--

You weren't stupid.

You were just a little slow.

But, your friends couldn't help but always make fun of you for it. Anytime someone told a joke you didn't understand, it was more often than not that you became the joke. But, your twin brother, Jacob, always changed the topic of conversation, trying to cut off the embarrassment and hurt.

-

"So, Y/N, it must be really easy being like you," You looked up from your phone and looked up at Derek.

"Why?" You asked him, you hadn't said anything, so there was no reason for anyone to be making fun of you for anything.

"Because you never have to think about what you say, you never actually think about anything. It must be great being dumb," Everyone else around the table laughed at the comment until you faked a laugh, hiding the miserable expression on your face. "Did they ever find out how you made it out of first grade?" You didn't say anything, only going back to your phone. You were having a good day up until Lunch. Usually, you were bright and bubbly, playing around with Jacob and making jokes, but this time it didn't appear to be you making the jokes, it looked like you were the joke.

"It's a good thing that she's pretty," Another one of your friends chimed in. They didn't explicitly say that you were stupid, but you could tell they were implying it. Jacob sighed and put his hand on your back comfortingly, sensing how uncomfortable you were.

"Y/N is pretty, but she's a lot of other things too," Jacob said. You smiled at him thankfully and he nodded at you. 

"Yeah, like what?" Derek retorted. You hid your reddening cheeks by ducking your head down, not sparing a glance at anyone. You didn't even dare to open your mouth, knowing it would result in something as per usual, stupid coming out of your mouth and further dragging your self confidence down further.

"She's funny," Jacob said. Derek and your other friend, Adam, chuckled and nudged each other.

"Yeah, only because she's so stupid," Adam said. You stood up without a word, walking away from the table and towards the bathroom. "Jake, you might wanna escort your sister to the bathroom, you don't want her to wander out of the school and get hit by a car." Adam said.

"Cut it out, there's nothing wrong with her," Jacob defended you. Adam and Derek laughed again.

"Are you sure? She might drown in the toilets  if there's no one there with her," Derek said. Jacob rolled his eyes and kicked him under the table.

"Why are you both so obsessed with my sister? Do you like her or something, because I'll admit, she might not be the brightest, but she's bright enough to have standards," Jacob said. Adam chuckled and shook his head.

"If Derek did happen to like Y/N, she'd be too stupid to know," He said. Jacob looked up and saw you standing behind Derek and Adam, a sad look on your face. 

"You might think it's Y/N, but you're the real idiots here," Jacob grabbed his own and your backpacks, standing up and walking over to you and leading you away. You were quiet, which was killing your brother. "You aren't stupid, Y/N." He assured you as you sat in the library.