THIRTY-ONE

LUYOLO MAYIZA

After the meeting, I went to my office, yep I have an office in Earth And Soil Logistics And Agribusiness Ltd. The view here is not as satisfying as the one from my company in my office. I sit on my office chair and open my laptop, just before I could get into anything, a knock goes on the door, I shout "come in before the person walks in, it is some white man in a fancy suit. Damn I need a PA.

"Good Day, Mr Mayiza." I get up from the chair to shake his hand and offer him a seat. He has an accent, a foreign accent. "I am Clayton Willem (pronounced Villem), from Africa Goods And Services... Uhm, do you have a minute for me? I would like to know a bit more about your services, transport services." I sigh.

"What would you like to know about the trucks?" I feel drenched, I don't feel like being here.

I have to go and see my son as soon as I knock off, my poor son. He has gone through a lot in such a young age, but he is strong like, who could have imagined how successful a surgery would be on a three year old baby who can barely remember what he did two days ago? God! I am not much of a believer but, I do know that miracles happen and that my wife come back, she has to. I know we will find her.

"Mr Mayiza? Sir? Did I get you off the wrong time?" I snap back from my thoughts. Jeez, did I just zone out on someone who could be our next client? Fuck, I am a mess!

"Uhm-Mr... Uh..." What did he say his name was again? I forgot it, I just remember that he has an accent, a German accent if I am not wrong.

"Willem." He jumps in.

"Oh yes, right Mr Willem. You were saying that our trucks are... Shit" I cuss under my breath. Being honest, I did not hear a single thing that he said. "I sincerely apologise Mr Willem, I have a lot that I am going through and it is draining." I stop because, I am about to sound like a sissy.

"Want to talk about it?" I look at him, weirdly. I mean, he is just a client and it ends there, imagine if I heard to cry on my clients' shoulders... Very unprofessional right?

"I'll be fine man." I honestly say. I will be fine once I get out of this place.

"Come on, I could be a good listener hey." He shrugs. I release a deep breath and relax on my chair.

"The same day that my wife was abducted, my son got admitted to the hospital. He recently had a surgery and to be honest, now that is out of the way, I am relieved. Now, I have to give more attention to my wife. It is hard going home knowing that your wife is not home to welcome you with the scent of food just as you step in the house." I play with the photo frame from the desk of my wife and I on our wedding day, white wedding.

"Is that her and your son?" He asks looking at the big portrait on the wall of the three of us, it was on our traditional wedding day, just before the Yoniswa and I saga.

I was carrying Lindokuhle on my hands and he had a huge smile that day, my wife too looking up at me and I was looking back at her. The photographer shot the sides of our faces but, Lindokuhle was facing the camera. It came out beautiful. I smile looking at it.

"Yeah, that was taken on our second wedding." He raise his eyebrow.

"You married twice?" I chuckle.

"Basically, yes. The second wedding took place at my origin home, where my forefathers are buried. She was welcomed and introduced into our home and ancestors so that they can know and accept her as our own." He nods.

"Oh, I see. Sorry man, about your wife. She seems like a good hearted woman. And I hope you find her." He sounds tense.

"Ugh man, look at me whining on you. I'm sorry, let's get on to what you are here for, shall we?" He shakes his head standing up, I frown. Did he lose interest in doing business with us because, I lost my focus?

"No man, it's okay. We can always do this another time." He calmly says, whew!

"Of course, thank you for understanding and once again, I'm sorry."

"Sure. I have to dash. Here, this is my business card. I would really like to do business with you." He pulls out his business card from his wallet and place it on the desk before he stands up.

"Cool." I make a mental note to myself that, I should make a job post, I seriously need a personal assistant.