FIFTEEN

NTOMBENHLE MAYIZA

We got home very late last night and I was very tired. I cannot believe I got to spend my first night at my husband’s home without him. My heart is clubbed about last night's event. My husband was mistakenly shot by the police, yes the police. They came by last night after we drove off to the hospital. Makazi called Luyolo’s mother on our way back home, letting us know that there were officers who needed to speak to us. Well, what actually happened was that, the cars that were racing were actually the police' private cars chasing a stolen car. They started shooting and one of the bullets ended in my husband’s chest. Crazy right? I mean, what if he didn’t make it? I just got married damn it, I am still way too young to be a widow.

Anyway, I left all that to my father in-law, he'll know how to deal with them but as for me, I need my husband, I miss him.

I am overwhelmed and fatigued by my husband’s maim. (Sigh). It could have gotten worse, I mean he has his son here who still needs him, who needs to be up brought by his father. How does one even tell a three year old that his father is shot, but I won’t because his father is still alive, that’s great right. My bath water is now called, let me get out of here.

After I had dressed up in amadaki, I quickly fixed my hair before wrapping a scarf on my head. Thank goodness I washed my hair immediately when I got home last night. I check the time and it is 5:30m, I need to go and prepare breakfast for the whole family. I have no idea how to even make fire outside so that I can start with the soft porridge, I heard it is what they eat first thing in the morning, after that, I still need to prepare greasy food and for lunch I have to prepare pap and gravy, not leaving the meat. Oh wait, that’s not all; I also need to cook dinner. So much work, I haven’t even started yet but I am super tired already, no wonder this people are fully figured here, they eat way white too much. (Sigh.). On top of everything, I still have to wash those dishes, I don’t understand why they would want me to cook outside when they have a nice built in stove in the main house. Oops, someone is knocking on the door.

I unlocked the door before I opened, It is Promise. Since she is the older wife (Lubabalo's wife since he is the first sibling to marry), she will assist me in everything that I need to learn around here. I could have figured it out all on my own. After what she did last night, I don’t think I am comfortable around her.

Promise:”Hey. Uhm, at exactly 6 o'clock, meet me at the front. Breakfast needs to be ready by 7 sharp.” Off she goes, I roll my eyes before I close the door. I hear one of the door in the flat banging softly before I hear foot steps, okay that creepy. I thought I was alone in the flat.

“Morning.” I jump in fright. I turn around only to find Nokuzola.
Nokuzola:”Oh, I am sorry sisi. I did not mean to give you a fright.” She is in her pajamas. Did she sleep here?
Ntombenhle:”No, no (breaths). Uhm, when did you get here?”
Nokuzola:”Last night. Lindo was all alone so I was forced to sleep with him in here.” Wow! So people were sleeping in this house and I had no idea.
Ntombenhle:”Oh, it’s okay. Is he still sleeping?”
Nokuzola:”Yes. How is my brother?” She sighs.
Ntombenhle:”He will be fine. I am going in later to see him. He is probably awake.”
Nokuzola:”Can I come with, please.” I nod.
Ntombenhle:”Of course.”

I go around the flat looking for cleaning chemicals. I start cleaning around the flat before I head out to the front. Lindokuhle is still sleeping so, Nokuzola will stay in the flat until I am done with the breakfast.

I am struggling with making fire and I keep coughing up the smoke, I am not getting it right.
Makazi:”Makoti, are we going to eat today? You’ve been busy making fire for the past fifteen minutes.” She shouts from the kitchen window.
Ntombenhle:”It is windy Makazi, the fire can’t seem to catch.” They laugh from the kitchen, her and Promise. I ignore them. I keep trying to get the fire started until I give up and stand up from the ground, frustrated throwing the matches on the ground.
Makazi:”Haibo, tshini!” She shouts.
Ntombenhle:”Makazi I am failing! I can’t make the fire, it’s hard.” Honestly, I can’t and no one dared to help me or even show me how to make fire.
Makazi:”Bantwana base Goli, niya dina!” (Kids from the suburbs, you are annoying!) Old hag!
Promise:”They should have gotten Luyolo a better wife.” She jumps in.
Ntombenhle:”Well hard luck! Because, I am married to Luyolo and I am here to stay! If you have a problem with it, akufuni mina loko.” I cluck my tongue leaving them gobsmacked, and staggered to the kitchen.

I cooked a not so fancy breakfast but, a good one to make everyone satisfied, since I couldn’t make the fire outside for porridge. My body is here but, my mind is very far. I quickly set up the table and made my way to Luyolo’s flat. I found Lindokuhle sitting on the couch, watching cartoons whilst Nokuzola is busy on her phone. As soon as Lindokuhle notices my presence, he runs towards me and I take him into my arms.

I prepare water to bath him before I dressed him warmly.
Lindokuhle:”Mommy, where is daddy?” I breathe in and out to calm myself.
Ntombenhle:”Uhm baby, daddy isn’t feeling well so, the doctor is keeping him in just until he feels better. He will come back soon, okay?” He nods. I realised that, kids do not dwell so much on anything because, they don’t understand how guilty the world is. I hope he stays as innocent as he is and never grows up. Adulthood not a child’s play.

We got into the main house, the time is now 7:45am. Everyone was there, already having breakfast. I grab my seat and place Lindokuhle on my lap right after I greeted everyone.
Siboniso:”How did you sleep, Ndodakazi?” (Daughter). I sigh.
Ntombenhle:”Kulalekile baba.” (I managed to sleep.) He nods. I look down to my plate and feast on my food, not forgetting to feed Lindokuhle. We are eating in silence, only the cutlery hitting against the plates are the ones making a noise. As we eat, I can feel someone shooting daggers on me, but I don’t dare to raise my head up to see who it is. Okay, I feel an edge to look up, I couldn’t help but look up only to be met by two pairs of eyes, Makazi and Zozibini. I won’t lie, their eyes look deadly and if that killed, I would have been dead already. I clear my throat, breaking the freaky staring contest. Why are they even looking at me that way? It is really uncomfortable.

“Good Morning Family!” Lubabalo walks in from the kitchen door, his wife Promise stands on her feet to hug him, and they kiss. We greet him back and he grabs a seat.
Lubabalo:”Ntombi, how are you doing? Will you go and check up on my brother today?” He asks, looking concerned.
Ntombenhle:”I am well thanks for asking. Right after I am done with my chores, I will request a cab to the hospital.” 
Lubabalo:”Okay, I will take us there. Have you heard from him or how he is doing today?” I shook my head.
Siboniso:”We left him sedated last night, but we were assured that today when we go back, we might find him awake. But since you want to go, Zozibini and I will stay behind. Ntombenhle, you do not have to do the chores today, your husband awaits you at the hospital.” 
Ntombenhle:”Thank you.”
Makazi:”Siyahlolelwa apha!” (We are being undermined!) She let’s out an evil chuckle. I want to roll my eyes at her but, I’ll save it for some other time.

I stand up to clear the table and clean Lindokuhle’s hands and mouth. Someone comes in rushing in the house. I am sure this person wants to make their presence felt by clancking on their heels. I turn around to see who it is. Oh, what the hell is she fucking doing here!
“Lindokuhle! Oh my son, come here!” She grabs him from my hands before giving me a nasty look, like I care. Now, I finally rolled my eyes, whew!